165hp gm 250 motor woes

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 165hp gm 250 motor woes

The feeler gauge goes between the points electrical contacts, not the plastic snubber that rides on the distributor's cam. This will get you close to the proper setting, but you should use a dwell meter ($25 at the parts store) to adjust dwell while the engine is running. After dwell is set adjust your timing

Did you check out the mechanical advance? Now is the best time since you have the distributor sitting on the work bench, probably only take 10 minutes to clean it up, relube the pivot points, check for worn plastic bushings and rusted parts...

bigguy6f4

Seaman

yes i checked the mechanical advance... everything was rust free and moved very easily. i was kinda suprised and impressed myself. i moved the weight and i saw the shaft turn every so slightly. makes perfect sence.

is there any special lubricant i can use to insure good workability? also i read something about the lubing the points????? or lubing the brush???? any thoughts. and im gonna try to find a dwell meter to be extra sure. my motor is worn out enough. it needs all the help and correct settings it can get.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

thought id give a final update on old betsy. (i think thats part of the posting rules)

Runs GREAT!

i set the points and dwell, set the timing. replaced the coil and took her out to the lake and she is the strongest ive ever seen.

set a new personal speed record of 37.9 mph on the gps. rpms were 4500.

the boat gets on plane almost immediatly. its amazing. thanks all for the referance links, helpful advice, and patience to help me thru it all.

fishrdan

Admiral

It's ALIVE, good going!

One other thing I should have mentioned since you haven't done points before. You should place a dab of grease on the points plastic arm that rides on the cam, put some grease on your finger tip and swipe it across the front side of the plastic arm to create a bead. The plastic arm will wear in a bit, as it wears down the grease will keep it lubed. If your points came with an felt pad that rides on the cam make sure it's saturated with oil.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

thanks! Since the points is easy to check im prolly going to make it part of my routine once a month check over. ill be sure to keep an eye on it!