$160.00 and still same problem

dennisrhall

Seaman
i have a 1988 50 hp force (BELIEVE ME IM NOT BRAGGING) Ok my problem is over heating and the repair shop installed a new thermostst, checked all other functions , pulled lower unit and says see's no problem. good commpression, im about ready to unbolt and let it go down in the lake.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: $160.00 and still same problem

Have you tried to reverse-flush the engine? There might be all kinds of crap in there blocking the passages, like old impeller parts, sand, etc... so the coolant isn't circulating well. How does the tell-tale stream look?

Estaver

Cadet

If you overheat just at idle, as mine did, it was simply low idle speed. Adjust the little eccentric roller at the throttle cam so that your idle speed increases enough to get a good discharge of water at the telltale port.

kwk

Seaman

I'm assuming you tried changing the impeller no matter what condition the shop told you it was in. You can't always tell a weak impeller just by looking. If you haven't put in a new one, you need to before looking anywhere else.<br /><br />Anyway, I had continous overheating problems on my 1989 125 HP Force. Changed impeller, cleaned out cooling passages, and nothing really seemed to help. I had a rebuild and they found the little rubber divertors that channel the flow around the cylinders had become deformed and were partially blocking the flow. You have to take the cylinder head cover off to see them. Anyway, no problems since they were changed.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

If this is a salt water motor, you may have to tear it down (if you see any white,powdery material in the gasket seams). This is called "salt creep", and most outboards are prone to it....But especially Force of that vintage. This alluminum oxide (aluminum rust) can restrict or completely block the internal portions of the cooling circuit.<br />If you do not see this telltale signature of salt creep corrosion, it does not mean it doesn't exist internally for certain, but let's "assume" it's ok for now.<br /><br />Your next move is to check compression. The head gasket could be blown, causing the problem.<br /><br />If you're running the motor, looking for a teltale, you wont find one. It doesn't have a peehole like many do. It has two exaust ports on the back of the leg ,just above the water line when underway. You should see a constant 'sputter' or spray of water escaping with the exaust. If you see this, you can assume it's getting adequate flow thru the motor to keep it cool.<br /> Cooling flow also exits from the exaust port by the prop, but of course, you canot see that one with the boat in the water.<br />I had a problem with this same make/model on my own Bliner runabout once. After changing the impeller, head gasket, r&r the lower unit three times, I found the problem. Mudawbber (muddauber?) wasp nest in the pickup tube!!! How the little bugger got in there to build his adobe condominium, I have no clue! But I have to cover my intakes while storing my boats durring the hot summers. I live in Florida, the bug capital of the world. And wasps like the smell of gas for a prime location to raise thier young----go figure.<br /><br />And about the pride or lack of it in your old Force, you should brag. That motor is 16years old, and still running. Many are. That's why Chrysler/Force has it's own room here on iboats....You take care of them, they take care of you---Forver.And they are everywhere.<br /><br />Besides, not all of us can swing the monthly payments for a new Merc Optimax.<br />Force has a bad rep, but how many are still out there on the water? You have to give them more care than the newer ones, because they carbon-up after only a couple hours of idling. Folks can find you at sea by following the oil slick. If you hole-shot this motor, chances are better than great, that the hub will spin-out in the prop, allowing only idle-speed if you're lucky, to limp-back to the dock with.<br />But, like I said..They are provven performers, and I never have sold them.