16 ft boat cover with out board

divco13

Seaman
Looking for a cover for my 16 ft ( 15'9" ) 1989 Rivera Tri hull, with a 50 horse motor. I have read that it hard to find one that fits well enough to travel high way speeds. How does a cover cover the transom with an out board ? I do have a cover for the motor already.

Need one at a reasonable fair price.

Thanks, ahead of time for he help
Bob

southkogs

Staff member
Honestly, even with a custom fitted trailer cover - I never towed faster than about 35MPH with the cover on. Properly covered on the trailer, particularly with a bow rider, you need posts to hold the cover up ... and at nearly any speed that creates a "drag chute" that will (IMHO) stress the cover. Even when I towed the Bayliner down here from Michigan, I pulled the cover off for the trip.

You can look through covers HERE and see what might suit your boat.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
A custom one that has snaps would work. But they're not cheap. You'd have to bring your boat in so they could fab one up for you.....

ziggy

Admiral
i tow w/o a cover too.
how many times have ya past a boat being pulled on the highway with a cover, and how many times have ya seen that cover puffed up like a balloon or worse.

imho, it's just to painful to tow with a cover in place. + it's just one more fairly time consuming thing to do when ya do get to the boat ramp. ya gotta take it off and put it back on (maybe on a filthy dirty boat from a day on the water too).

maybe a cover like wimusky is talking about might work. but if ya paid enough to have a real nice cover like that. i'd think twice about seeing if it can withstand 75 mph + winds.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The cover I'm talking about will work, but it will cost ya......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Need one at a reasonable fair price.

This is the crunch. I honestly don't think many boat covers stand up to highway speeds because of the shape of the boat and too many unsupported lengths of the covers flapping in the wind. Every flap is more strain on the straps or other hold downs.

Shrink wrap works because it's stiff and forms to the boat shape. But it's not practical for travel to and from the ramp, not to mention the cost.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Check out the covers made for Ranger Boats,..No problems at highway speeds,...

You can have a custom shop make one based on those,..

However, Expect to spend a grand or better to get one made,.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
For that tri-hull you should be under a grand. My 16' v-hull with side console was less than a grand..... And they used good very material.