150HP Outboards, 2000 and Newer Purchase Suggestions

mikejan

Cadet
Am in the market for a used boat/motor. Am looking for a 20-22 foot CC deeper V(or DC) of 2000 or newer vintage. Would appreciate advice as to which motors to look for and to avoid. Of the 2 strokes, 4 strokes, E-Tecs,FICHT's, HPDI's, Optimaxes, carbuerated and fuel injection models, and all the rest, which offers the best dependability and maintenace not requireing rocket science knowledge? Fuel economy is not my first priority. Am looking for a motor that will start and run every time, provided, of course that I do my part with regular maintenance. This boat/motor will not be run every day or every weekend. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 150HP Outboards, 2000 and Newer Purchase Suggestions

The carbed engines are easiest to maintain if you don't have a Ph.D in computer managed outboards. In that class I think the JohnnyRude carbed V6s shine. One trouble there is that they are all used and obsolete.

On the other hand, 4 strokes, HPDIs and ETECs are more reliable, cleaner and more fuel efficient.

In your situation I think I would be shopping an ETEC or 4 stroke.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

A 2001 or newer FICHT Ram/Direct Injection Evinrude would be a solid choice in my opinion. I have my current 2004 and I had a 2001 previously.

2001 was the turning point for the FICHT/DI motors. Even before Bombardier took over, OMC had made significant improvments and they were all implemented by 2001.

In my opinion these motors are undervalued due to the stigma attached to the FICHT name.

As far as maintenance is concerned, I don't really see any added complications with normal routine stuff. Most of the mechanical parts are the same as on a carb'ed motor. Obviously, if you start having issue with electrical/computer stuff it can get complicated and expensive.

The fuel economy is really what has sold me on these motors. I am truly amazed at how long and far I can go with my current boat/motor. I have yet to get my fuel flow meter hooked up to verify my numbers, yet the consumption/mileage I have been measuring has beat all of my expectations. Comparing to a carbed 150 I had on a comparable boat recently....really, there is no comparison.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I asked a marine mechanic which he preferred, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. He said, "I like them both--all of them break down."

I have a carbed 150 Yam (2003) on a 21' Sea Hunt deep V. I like it, and like basic dependability. I don't have stats or comparisons, but it burns some gas and, it seems, a lot of oil, too. A mechanic/dealer, discussing a theoretical replacement if it dies, said it will run until you get tired of paying for it.
I think if I'd had the choice I might prefer an HPDI. I go back and forth on the 4 stroke, with its reputation for not handling ethanol well, slow start, and extra size/weight.
Since you are buying used, you probably won't have a side by side choice, and I don't know that the engine type will be a deal maker or breaker.

As a side note, I think a lot of boats like mine (a mid-level boat) were rigged with the Yam TXRB or similar b/c it was the cheapest, most basic, popular motor. I think I'm a tad underpowered, but that, too, was a way to be competitive. So if it matters to you, think about something a little better and bigger than "stock" if you find, as I did, a basic rig. It's not enough to say no, or be unhappy with the boat, but if you have the choice, go up some.

jonesg

Admiral

Am in the market for a used boat/motor. Am looking for a 20-22 foot CC deeper V(or DC) of 2000 or newer vintage. Would appreciate advice as to which motors to look for and to avoid. Of the 2 strokes, 4 strokes, E-Tecs,FICHT's, HPDI's, Optimaxes, carbuerated and fuel injection models, and all the rest, which offers the best dependability and maintenace not requireing rocket science knowledge? Fuel economy is not my first priority. Am looking for a motor that will start and run every time, provided, of course that I do my part with regular maintenance. This boat/motor will not be run every day or every weekend. Thanks.

Avoid these, this is why, zilch resale value.
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/boa/2051599141.html

Early to mid 1990's V6 Johnson is good, low tech, simple to diagnose and lots of expert help here.