150 XR2 steam out of the exaust.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 150 XR2 steam out of the exaust.

Step 2 modified. Check and reinstall the t-stats. They are necessary for a quick warm-up and steady (relatively) operating environment.

The most useful diagnostic information we could get for this problem would come from a water pressure gauge. There are several states of cooling system operation in this engine. The WP gauge will help to note proper poppet operation, t-stat operation, poor water supply, and clogged passages. All other observations combined only allow you to guess.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Step 2 modified. Check and reinstall the t-stats. They are necessary for a quick warm-up and steady (relatively) operating environment.

The most useful diagnostic information we could get for this problem would come from a water pressure gauge. There are several states of cooling system operation in this engine. The WP gauge will help to note proper poppet operation, t-stat operation, poor water supply, and clogged passages. All other observations combined only allow you to guess.

How would one go about installing a WP gauge?

j_martin

Admiral

Get the gauge kit. Just behind the flywheel is a pipe plug you take out and replace with a hose barb. Plastic line goes to the gauge in the dash.

hope it helps
john

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

john, found the driveshaft gasket that goes between cup and pump housing on TOP of pump housing!!!!!!! Last lame brain that werkt on it didn't know where it went.After installing it in the RIGHT place & a new impeller kit it has a proper P stream and runs cool as a cucumber

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As usual, your help was invaluable..... The pressure guage was an important clue. that helped us after removing the l/u. Only a SMALL amount of water was available to the motor with the gasket in the wrong position. Thanx GOBS!!!!!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

john, found the driveshaft gasket that goes between cup and pump housing on TOP of pump housing!!!!!!! Last lame brain that werkt on it didn't know where it went.After installing it in the RIGHT place & a new impeller kit it has a proper P stream and runs cool as a cucumber

I hope you're not talking about the rubber washer that was installed over the shaft and resting on top of the pump housing. It's called a slinger washer and was correct. If you placed it between the cup and the pump housing then it is incorrect and your impeller will be destroying itself in short order. Ask me how I know:).

I suspect that somewhere along the line you did correct the problem. Possibly a gasket was in wrong or the wrong base gaskets which is easy to do.

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hope you're not talking about the rubber washer that was installed over the shaft and resting on top of the pump housing. It's called a slinger washer and was correct. If you placed it between the cup and the pump housing then it is incorrect and your impeller will be destroying itself in short order. Ask me how I know:).

I suspect that somewhere along the line you did correct the problem. Possibly a gasket was in wrong or the wrong base gaskets which is easy to do.

Well, it cooled the engine off big time when the gasket was installed into the housing instead of ontop, Not literally IN the impellar sleeve, but there is a place in the houseing that it fits inside of before you place the top housing back onto the shaft. I know that is the only thing we changed, and the engine went from running the temp gauge from H to in the middle of C & H, also ran alot smoother after it was running the right temp! :)

j_martin

Admiral

Well, it cooled the engine off big time when the gasket was installed into the housing instead of ontop, Not literally IN the impellar sleeve, but there is a place in the houseing that it fits inside of before you place the top housing back onto the shaft. I know that is the only thing we changed, and the engine went from running the temp gauge from H to in the middle of C & H, also ran alot smoother after it was running the right temp! :)

Well...... that ain't where the slinger goes, but what it did is tighten up the impeller in the housing, indicating either the impeller or the housing is bad, or the wrong one, to start with. It won't run long the way it is.

The base plate under the impeller is pretty critical. If it is grooved, it needs replacing. could be the only problem to start with. Now you've toasted the impeller or the housing or both with the slinger inside.

hope it helps
John