15 HP Rude Break powerhead free from body of outboard?

Sailormannj

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the middle of repairing my 1983 15 HP Evinrude as the upper mounts inside the shaft are gone and the engine "rocks" back and forth. I have followed the directions in the manual to remove the pwerhead, and have all hoses, bolts etc off. My problem is that the powerhead will not budge. I don't want to use too much force and break anything. How can I break it loose???? Thanks

alcan

Commander
Re: 15 HP Rude Break powerhead free from body of outboard?

Make sure you have all the bolts out. Triple check. A sideways thrust with the palm of your hand on the flywheel should do the trick. Since your motor mounts are broken you my need to have a blocker to keep the rest of the thing from moving.

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Removal of the Powerhead <br /><br />Scroll down to near the end.<br />" remove the shift lever cotter pin & cross pin, allowing the clevis to be disconnected from the shift lever"<br />"Remove the cotter pin holding the shift lever yoke to the motor"... well read it all and double check what you have done so far.

Sailormannj

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help. Go it out. Another question, should I replace the water tube while it is apart? I plan on doing the thermostat, but do you think the water tube should be replaced? I have had no trouble with the water flow other than replacing impeller every 2 or 3 years. The motor is used on a sailboat.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sailor.... Replace the water tube only if it is faulty in some manner. I do recommend that you remove the lower unit before attempting to re-install the powerhead. Reason?.... it's much easier to install the water pump to the water tube then it is to try to align the water tube with the water pump.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I would encourage you to replace the watertube grommet while you are this far into it.And give the cavity that grommet fits into a complete cleaning.That grommet is a common source of overheat on these engines.

Sailormannj

Seaman Apprentice

Where is the water tube gommet? DO I have to remove the exhaust tube to get to it?