15 HP Gamefisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Dave 44

Cadet
Re: 15 HP Gamefisher?

I also have a 15 hp Gamefisher. I bought it as part of a package deal with a jon boat and trailer. I am not getting any water out the cooling ports. I have dropped the lower unit and the impller looked ok The model number is 225581501 Is there a thermostat on my engine? If there is one can someone send me a diagram showing the exterior location? I took the impellar to a Marine Parts store and was informed by the head mechanic that it was bad. I purchased a new one and will try and start it up tomorrow.

Big Dave 44

Cadet

Do you know what the compression should be for a 15 hp Force Motor? I have a Gamefisher that has 75 PSI in each cylinder. I also verified that I have spark to each plug by disconncecting the plug wires one at a time then sticking a screwdriver in the plug wire and pulling the pull cord while holding the screwdriver close to the plugs. I had a good spark. I have cleaned the carburator and am unable to get the engine to run. I also tried a additional carburator off a Force 9.9 with similar results. Could this engine be out of time? Any help is appreciated.

Big Dave 44

Cadet

Engine is still not running. I replaced the impellar, cleaned the carburator, changed the lower unit oil and pulled the pull cord till I was out of breath? I am out of ideas.

Make sure the fuel pump is working. Try putting some starting fluid or gas(with oil mixed 50:1) in the carb and see if it will start. If it does, this indicates fuel pump. If not, maybe both coils are bad? Also, make sure your idle set screw is not tightened all the way up, cutting off the air flow, and make sure if there's a kill switch, you have the key in it.

fishrdan

Admiral

Make sure the fuel pump is working. Try putting some starting fluid or gas(with oil mixed 50:1) in the carb and see if it will start. If it does, this indicates fuel pump. If not, maybe both coils are bad? Also, make sure your idle set screw is not tightened all the way up, cutting off the air flow, and make sure if there's a kill switch, you have the key in it.

I would just replace the fuel pump as they were not designed for ethanol. Don't use starting fluid as it does not have any oil in it, bad thing. You can squirting some premixed 50:1 fuel in the carb though.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the obvious requirements for an engine to run.

1. Does it have spark ? Check by pulling both spark plugs out of the engine and reattaching them to the plug wires. Then ground the threaded portion of the plug to the frame/head of the engine and pull the starter rope. You should get a bright spark on one or both of the spark plug gaps. If not, you have an ignition problem (bad coil, trigger, flywheel ?)

2. Does it have fuel ? Check by injecting some fuel into the spark plug holes before reinstalling them in the engine. Squirt some WD-40 into the carburetor throat, choke on and give the starter rope a good pull or two. If it starts or chugs, you probably have a fuel delivery problem (carbs need to be cleaned or rebuilt because of varnish buildup , fuel pump needs a new diaphragm, old fuel, low compression, or a clogged fuel filter) Often you can get the engine running on the "squeeze bulb" if the fuel pump is marginal)

Once you determine what is wrong, start correcting by replacing the least expensive possible culprit. Ignition system issues are generally expensive repairs while fuel problems often are quite cheap to fix. Wishing you the best of luck !!

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Big Dave 44

Cadet

I took the boat to a certified mechanic today. He adjusted the idle and carburator fuel mixture and got it running like a top. The water pump is working great and the engine is also. It cost me $100.00 but he threw in a 80s 9.9 Force motor with a bad cylinder to use as a parts motor. I understand some parts for these gamefishers are hard to come by so I have a extra lower unit, prop, dolfin trim tab, points and condensor, carburator, and pull cord assembly. Do you think I did ok? Also I appreciate the feedback.

fishrdan

Admiral

$100 to fix your OB,,, AND a complete parts motor. I'd say you did well. The prop alone is $80 if you had to replace it.

I have a Dolfin on my 7.5HP and it works great. I took it off once to see how much it was slowing me down and, well,,, let's just say I put it right back on when I got home....

Big Dave 44

Cadet

I am trying to tell what year my motor is. It is a Gamefisher (Force) model number 225581501. Any ideas?

fishrdan

Admiral

Try Sears parts, they should be able to find the outboard year/description off the serial number.

Big Dave 44

Cadet

My biggest concern with this engine is the compression. It is a 1989 model with 75 PSI compression in each cylinder. It hasn't run in months and I wondered if sea foam engine tuner would break down carbon deposits and help regain some additional compression. Thoughts or opinions appreciated.

M

mrcrabs

I always get better numbers after using engine tuner.....the right way

Big Dave 44

Cadet

Did you see any noticable improvement? I ran my engine in a barrel this afternoon and it smoked like hell but is starting on the 1st or 2nd pull easily. I am planning on putting the boat in the water Friday afternoon and run it hard to see what it will do.

fishrdan

Admiral

I ran a compression test on my 7.5HP (just a de-tuned 15HP) and found really low numbers too, don't remember what they were, but they were bad. Someone commented a while back that you won't get really good numbers off these small Forces, so I didn't pay much attention to my comp #'s. It runs like a scalded cat, so I'm not worried by what the comp test showed.

I did a decarb with Seafoam and didn't notice anything different, did it as preventative maintenance. I don't think you would unless you had a problem to begin with though...

Big Dave 44

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I am relieved to hear yours runs well with low numbers. I thought I had thrown money down the drain. I was contemplating buying a new short block for $500.00 since it appears ring sets are impossible to come by. I plan on running it until it quits then if I can stilll get a short block, buy one.

M

mrcrabs

I don't see why a force would be any harder to get a acurate compression reading from than any other engine as long as your doing your compression check right,
any cold sticking of the rings and I could imagin lower numbers but shoot some pre mix in there and your numbers should get more realistic.

At the end of each fishing season my J/E 70hp gums up a little from alot of trolling in and out of the marina, we cat fish and change spots alot or should say just move down a little to another hole so I'm just starting up and making a short slow run....well that dino oil XD25 likes to carbon up my rings good so by years end my numbers are lower, come spring I will get her good and hot with the air silencer off....sounds like she has a turbo as it pass 3000 rpm with the duel stage boyesen reeds I have.....I stop in the middle of the river and use my quick start to rev it in nuetral while I spray it good with J/E engine tuner....she will smoke and stink and choke and die....belch and fart, when the can is gone I give a good run to make sure the tuner is all gone then I go back to port and change out my spark plugs, makes a new engine out of it....dino oil and cold runnin or a stuck thermostat will gum the rings ASAP, if I had the bucks I would use Klotz synthtic and never have the problem again.

SFGIantsfan

Recruit

Thanks for all the great info here. I recently got a 15hp Gamefisher/ Sears motor and have been trying to get it back to normal. I bought a whole new impeller kit and have since inspected the current part that on it. Looks like someone used it in saltwater and didn't flush it as good as it should have been. Lots of corrosion around the area. I hope the new kit will at least let the motor work correctly.

Any ideas where I could get the long shaft conversion?? Earlier in the post someone said they are still available, but I cant seem to find one.

Fish'inatic

Recruit

I just bought a 15 hp Gamefisher. it looks to be in excellent condition. I havent tried it out yet. The previous owner said his dad bought it new when a Sears store was going of business, and he only ran it for about an hour or so. It was setting in storage ever since. I can't wait to try it out. Do I need to prep it in any way first?

Fish'inatic

Recruit

I just bought a 15 hp Gamefisher. it looks to be in excellent condition. I havent tried it out yet. The previous owner said his dad bought it new when a Sears store was going of business, and he only ran it for about an hour or so. It was setting in storage ever since. I can't wait to try it out. Do I need to prep it in any way first?[Being out on the water in a boat with a fishing pole is great! Even if don't catch any fish, but if you do, well, thats like having icecream on top of the icing on the cake! ]

fishrdan

Admiral

Do I need to prep it in any way first?

Those outboards were last made in the late 90's. At a bare minimum, replace the water pump impeller. Myself, I would rebuild the fuel pump too as the thin non-ethanol resistant diaphragm is either dried out or will fail in short order due to ethanol. Squirt some 2 stroke oil into the cylinders and turn the engine over by hand to lube the cyliners, then run the first tank with of fuel with double oil, 25-1.

Have Fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.