15 HP 1988 Game Fisher Carb Adj

hunterope

Seaman
Gents..... I picked up a 1988 Game Fisher 15 HP. Going to change out the fuel pump and filter on the unit due to it cutting out and dying unless I pump the heck out of the ball. Now at low speed it runs along without a hitch, but when I crank it up, it spudders and dies unless I keep pumping the fuel ball. I am fairly certain a fuel pump kit will fix this, but if there are some fine tuning points that any one can give me, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 15 HP 1988 Game Fisher Carb Adj

Check the fuel line connector, I've had to replace mine 2 times this year because of the same problem,,, cutting out at high RPM. 1st one was old and worn out, 2nd one was built cheap and cut a sealing O-ring after a few uses.

Pump up the primer and hold it tight, if you see the connector leaking or dripping replace it.

hunterope

Seaman

You wouldn't happen to know the part # for the connector would you? I'm planning on ordering a new one but I can't be certain of the part # on Iboat vs sears..
Also, do you know the correct adjustment for the card (idle + high speed)?

Thanks for the post.

fishrdan

Admiral

Don't know the connector P/N, but don't get the Mallory fuel connector off Iboats, that's the one that failed on me after a few trips. Iboats does have one built by another MFG, try that one.

Not sure of the carb adjustments on your 15HP as it has a different carb than my 7.5, think you have 2 adjustments on the carb where I only have 1,,, idle mixture.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 1993 9.9 requires about 1 full turn of the screw.
If i'm 1/8 of a turn out either way it runs worse then it already does so finding the correct adjustment should be easy. My outboard has a bad coil so this info could be wrong but I doubt it.

Mine has only one adjustment screw.

hunterope

Seaman

I got the right fuel fitting and the motor started to run much better at higher end. I was still getting a little sputter out of it at the top, so I replaced the fuel pump gaskets and diaphram and she's running like a top! Thanks all.

ybot

Recruit

My primer bulb broke on the front of my gamefisher 9.9 ... can i just use any primer bulb to go there...its just a bulb and a 3 inch hose...it seems like anything would work....or do I have to be specific?

Thanks

hunterope

Seaman

Any primer bulb will do as long as it fits your fuel line. Also, if your running your boat in winter, spend the extra bucks and by a top of the line primer bulb.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

He's talking about the bulb that is attached to the front of the motor.
Any type bulb should work. All it does is push air.