140 Suzuki not running at cruise speed

186kw

Cadet
Have a 2005 140 Suzi. Several weeks ago, after running fine, I cranked it up and it would only get up to 3000 rpms. Took to the dealer and he could find nothing wrong. Took it out last week, ran fine. The second day cranked it up to come in and again it would only get to 3000 rpms. Back at the marina, I turned it off and cranked it again and it ran fine. Any solutions??

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 140 Suzuki not running at cruise speed

Sticky shift switch, or needs adjusting, Did dealer check with laptop, this will show history of some problems.

186kw

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. The dealer said he put the computer on but found nothing. Is checking the shift switch hard or do I need to take it back to the dealer? I assume it is in the the throttle and shift control unit.

James R

Commander

Sounds like a fuel blockage. Crap in the tank will often do it. Gets drawn into the pick up tube and sits there blocking the fuel flow untill you shut the motor down which releases the crap and off you go again.

186kw

Cadet

Thanks, Looks like there are several possibilities to check out when I get back down to my boat.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

did the primer bulb go soft?
any alarms

186kw

Cadet

Bulb not soft, no alarms and no problem shows up on a computer check.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If the engine runs real rough at 3000 rpms, you have a sensor/switch problem, if engine runs smooth at 3000 rpms or with some surging low fuel pressure. Fuel pressure tester at Sears by OTC 29.95US, adapters from Autozone/Advance auto parts, longer hose will extend guage to boat cockpit, runing engine full throttle, you will see pressure drop as rpms drop. Water in VST runs the pressure regulator and sometimes the fuel pump. Lots of realy bad fuel around. Your engine have the Racor fuel filter?

clanton

Rear Admiral

If the engine runs real rough at 3000 rpms, you have a sensor/switch problem, if engine runs smooth at 3000 rpms or with some surging low fuel pressure. Fuel pressure tester at Sears by OTC 29.95US, adapters from Autozone/Advance auto parts, longer hose will extend guage to boat cockpit, runing engine full throttle, you will see pressure drop as rpms drop. Water in VST ruins the pressure regulator and sometimes the fuel pump. Lots of realy bad fuel around. Your engine have the Racor fuel filter?

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

If it goes just to 3000 RPM (like a rev limiter) every time then the most likely culprit is the neutral switch on the engine. It's stuck in the neutral position even when in gear. Find a better dealer - any experienced Suzuki dealer would catch it right away. They also can see it on the diagnostic screen.

zx7king

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,

I was talking to the dealer i bought my df140 from a while ago about an unrelated issue and he said something that i thought i should pass along.

Anyway, i was asking him about oil pressure (i had to reset the blinking oil light since i had changed my own oil) and asked him how i would know if i had an oil pressure problem and he mentioned that if it was low, the engine would not go above x rpms. I thought he said 3000 but i could be wrong. The experts here can correct me. If that is the case.. possibly a bad oil pressure sensor???

FWIW

Charles

186kw

Cadet

Several things to note: The problem never shows up once the engine is running correctly, shifting the boat in and out of gear does not correct the problem, the problem only showes up occasionally when it is cranked and most times it runs great. I am beginning to think it is a problem within the engine circuit. I appreciate all the great input. I guess I will have to take it back to the dealer but I hate to spend over $200 again for him to not find anything.

butterone

Cadet

Did you ever correct the problem with the engine? I'm having the same problem with mine but can't find the answer.

186kw

Cadet

Not yet. I live 150 miles from the coast. It will be a couple of weeks before I get down to take it to the dealer and go get it back. I would be interested if you find the cause.