140 H.P. Mercruiser I/O questions

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have just bought a 18' Starcraft Holiday with a 140 Mercruiser outdrive and 4 cyl. GM motor (181 C.I.)
the previous owner changed to a electronic fuel pump, new plugs, cap, rotor, oil, filter, fuel filter & lines, etc. impeller, lower end gear oil. The serial number on the motor is 3129102 and the serial number on the outdrive is 2073371 can you tell me the years? What manual do I need to buy? This is my first I/O, I have worked a little on outboard motors for years. What can I check out?
What do I ask the Marine Mach. to check/setup on the motor and outdrive? Any other advice?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 140 H.P. Mercruiser I/O questions

congrats on your new boat jim. while i ain't the pro here and can't answer your question as to the year of your rig. it looks like your s/n's fall in line with what service manual #1 covers. you'll find that in the sticky at the top of the i/o forum. look at item #9. you'd want manual #1. this is a large file, give it time to download.
as for what to check. that's a pretty wide open question. to me, many things need to be checked. i think perhaps another sticky in the adults only would be a good place to start. check out the winterizeing and summerizing thread #5. lots of things to check in that. it would be a good place to start perhaps..