14' V-hull conversion build, shoot me your ideas & thoughts!

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 14' V-hull conversion build, shoot me your ideas & thoughts!

Got it all cleaned up, gtn close to being able to coat it. Dreading doing the inside lol

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so I have couple ideas for supporting the front deck in front of the bow seat... tell me what yall think

If I mount some angle to the side of the boat in the bow area, and make a support going across and laying on that angle I think it will be sufficient...
I was thinking I could drill the holes (2/3 bolts ea angle bracket) and use "rubber seal" washers on both sides, and coat bolt and hole with 5200.
This should seal completely and be strong I think.

Please state your input. Thanks for all the help fellas

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Bump, any ideas guys? Hoping to do some work tomorrow on the tinny

jbcurt00

Staff member

Rivets, closed end blind rivets, probably 3/16" by 0.063-0.19 grip range (1/32-3/16) maybe a bit longer depending on the aluminum stock angle you use.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I figured, but I thought the bolts would be stronger overall

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Through hull bolts, nuts, and washers are a poor build on an aluminum boat. Your boat was built with rivets and any modifications you make to it should also use rivets, especially if you're going to penetrate the hull.

Bolts, nuts and washers will only be a temporary build and will eventually leak, especially if coupled with a rubber washer. Stainless steel hardware is also many times more money than rivets.

kfa4303

Banned

+1 rivets are best if you can use them. They look "right", don't rust and are very strong when properly installed. Otherwise, stainless steel is your best bet, but it ain't cheap so try to buy it in bulk.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Ok guys, I just still havent found the right rivets locally.
And when looking online, there's so many sizes and whatnot I honestly get confused and dont know what ones are right...
:confused:

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Rivets, closed end blind rivets, probably 3/16" by 0.063-0.19 grip range (1/32-3/16) maybe a bit longer depending on the aluminum stock angle you use.

I just remembered this post:facepalm:
Im.gonna look again and see if I can make sense of it lol

jbcurt00

Staff member

rivets online

I like how its all in the web address: what you're looking for & where.....:happy:

3/16" DIAMETER rivets

brazer head

most makers of those size & type rivet all make them w/ about the same size diameter heads

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Call me crazy but I dont see any on that site around the size that you specified...?

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

I just remembered this post:facepalm:
Im.gonna look again and see if I can make sense of it lol

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Aluminum Rivet/Aluminum Mandrel Dome Head Closed End Blind Rivets

Specifications

Body Dia: 3/16"

Grip Range: .126-.250

Max Length: .531

Head Style: Dome

Would these work?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Aluminum Rivet/Aluminum Mandrel Dome Head Closed End Blind Rivets

Specifications

Body Dia: 3/16"

Grip Range: .126-.250

Max Length: .531

Head Style: Dome

Would these work?

Yes.

The grip range is the most important part, and the grip range for that rivet is 1/8" to 1/4" and is pretty versatile.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Cool thanks jig, ill order some asap!
I have some time down right now, not gna get to sork on the boat until beginning of week :mad:
Im hoping next time ill get the inside stripped of paint, sealed and start priming and painting.

I will post pics as soon as I get to that step and show yall how its coming.
I plan to do a full documentary on this tinny to teach others the things I didnt/dont know about doing these vhulls.
All thanks to the great guys here on Iboats!

Thanks again everyone for helping me out!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've read through your comments and seems you have some great replies from very knowledgeable folks. You can trust JNJ and the others as well. They know their stuff. The only thing I can add is, remember any boat, but especially a "V" bottom boat, is extremely susceptible to being very tipsy the higher you sit. So you have to have a trade off point between front casting deck height and stability... The higher you mount that casting deck the more you change the boat's CG point. Just a reminder. Keep us update with pictures as you go and good luck...

kfa4303

Banned

If you look in my avatar and signature pics you can see the casting deck I added to my 14' semi V-hull which started life as a '59 runabout/skiboat. After removing the cap and doing some other mods, I now use it as a tiller drive fishing skiff. The decks are made from 3/4" plywood and fastened with stainless steel screws and are virtually flush with the top of the gunnel. I've had it in this configuration for several years now and it's still going strong. I can sit, sleep, or do hand stands on it all day without issue. Best of all, it provided a forward bulk head for some much need storage as well as an area to put a bit of safety/flotation foam. While I used 3/4", you could probably get away with 1/2" just as well.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer

Ya I understand the higher you go with the deck the more "tippy".its gna make the boat...
I plan to make mine about 10" off the floor, which is about half way up the sides.
Should be pretty sturdy I think.
Ill definitely keep y'all posted on the build.
Should be gtn something done Monday ir Tuesday at latest