14 ft Starcraft Long Shaft v Short Shaft?

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,
I am in the process of buying a 70's model 14 foot Starcraft for fishing. I am trying to decide weather this needs a short or long shaft motor. The first picture(labeled Starcraft Johnson) is the closest resemblence I could find on the internet. This appears to be a long shaft but it looks like the cavitation plate sits a couple of inches belowthe bottom of the boat.

The next two pictures are of the actual boat I am buying. The Honda motor in these pictures appears to be a short shaft? It was hard to get to the rear of the boat as I am in Michigan, it is in deep snow & pushed against a shed. I have looked on different websites and it seems the rule of thumb is 15-17 inch transom = short shaft while 20-22 inch tranasom = long shaft. They also say 1-2 inches one way or the other wont matter two much is that correct? I tried to get a tape measure on this & it appears that the transom measurement is about 18" (right in between)

I am buying boat motor & trailer for $600. The owner tells me that the Honda runs good and pushes this boat. He does say it will cavitate a little at high rpm's. Do they make cavitation plates for engines this small if so where do I find them. The price seems to be right at $600. Even if the Honda engine does not run correctly (hard to test in January in Michigan) I have a 1974 15HP Johnson short shaft that I could slap on it. But again this Johnson is also a short shaft. Is a 10- 15 hp engine adequate for this boat? Sorry for the long message, but I'm going to pull this out of the snow tomorrow, and want to have as much info as possible. Thanks in advance.
Dan

Attachments

• Starcraft Johnson.jpg
    Starcraft Johnson.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Honda 10hp on Starcraft.jpg
    Honda 10hp on Starcraft.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Starcraft 14.jpg
    Starcraft 14.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 14 ft Starcraft Long Shaft v Short Shaft?

Is a 10- 15 hp engine adequate for this boat?

Ayuh,... Plenty....

Either of those motors will work Just Fine...

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

15" = short shaft
20" = long shaft
25" = x long shaft

i dont think the length on small obs is as important as the big boys.

when i fixed the transom in my aluminum boats--i raised mine up in the back so that it goes straight across instead of having a dip.

i have 3 boats-- 2 small and 1 bass boat.

i switch the small motors from boat to boat depending on my fishing situation.

the '72 merc 9.8 has a little shorter shaft than the '64 18 evinrude..........other than hp difference i havent noticed any change in performance.....even though the merc "anti-ventilation plate" is about 3.5" above the bottom of the boat.

in short if your water pump still picks up water you should be ok.

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Another question as I'm not getting any response in the Honda Forum. Is the green light on the front of the Honda's a temperature gage (green being OK, Red being hot. Or is is charging indicator, or oil pressure gage? I've got different people telling me diferent things. Also how much water should come out of the weep hole. Owner says it spits/drips some but not a constant steam. It has a new impeller. Thanks