14 foot jon boat with 8 hp motor almost plane.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
as you can see with my current setup, the boat ALMOST planes but not quite. yes i have moved the motor in different plane positions and found the sweet spot but not quite. question, if i put a set of hydrofoils on, will this help? be easy with me. lol. a little weight measurement. me on the back seat, 200, friend in front seat 150, 2 boxes behind front seat, batteries. redistribute weight?

Attachments

• DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 5

dwco5051

Commander
You are in that maybe it will do it range. Experiment with one person and moving some weight around. Might try setting the gas tank as far forward as the hose will let you. A big if is it propped right. Almost need to have a tach to check that out. Do you have any friends with a lot of small boat experience. They may be able to try it out and play with trim, weight and just by ear and feel give you suggestions.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I ran a 7.5 HP motor on my 12 Jon, and it was too much power. I was always afraid she would flip over backwards if I ran into the wind. 5HP planed it easily.

You need to experiment with load placement and perhaps prop to get her to behave. How about a tiller extension? You should have plenty of power, I would think.

mr 88

Commander
Put the maximum HP that it is rated for . All you are going to do is beat the heck out of the current motor by running it at full throttle with too much of a load in the boat . That engine will hate you for being worked to a slow death .

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
i have an 8 hp on my 10 footer. It’s rated for 10. Always wanted to put a ten on it but the 8 makes it move along quickly with just me in the boat. I’ve had this boat in Canada and many lakes in the states, with two onboard it’s not too bad either. Never a fan of fishtails on the motor myself. Repower yours for more fun. Trying to get to small of a motor to do what you want is not going to get you there.