14 Foot Jon Boat Identification

jmok1978

Seaman
Real old boat, no info at the DMV. It's a 14 footer, can't find a mark on it, any ideas on the age? Make?

Attachments

• Boat8.jpg
    Boat8.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Boat7.jpg
    Boat7.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 17
  • Boat14.jpg
    Boat14.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Boat13.jpg
    Boat13.jpg
    835.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Boat12.jpg
    Boat12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • Boat11.jpg
    Boat11.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Boat10.jpg
    Boat10.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Boat9.jpg
    Boat9.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 21
  • Boat6.jpg
    Boat6.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Boat5.jpg
    Boat5.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Boat4.jpg
    Boat4.jpg
    821.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • Boat2.jpg
    Boat2.jpg
    680.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 19

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My experience with boats over the years is that the boat in the pictures is an aluminum, semi-V skiff, not a flat bottomed, blunt bow, John (Jon) boat. Over the years, no telling how many boat companies made them and with them being of the same basic design, unless a serial number or decal is available, hard to tell one from the other.

Other than curiosity, why do you ask?

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
That looks like a boat that my Uncle had (RIP Uncle Art) do ya wanna have some fun with it ?? Hang a 35 horse Merc or other on the back, rig a helm and throttle control on the front seat, make a place in the floor to drive it from and go for it. He had fun with it, like a mini-speedboat and no, he passed from black-lung complications and not from his boat

jmok1978

Seaman
My experience with boats over the years is that the boat in the pictures is an aluminum, semi-V skiff, not a flat bottomed, blunt bow, John (Jon) boat. Over the years, no telling how many boat companies made them and with them being of the same basic design, unless a serial number or decal is available, hard to tell one from the other.

Other than curiosity, why do you ask?
Pure curiosity, and also curious if it's possible it was built from a kit once upon a time since there aren't any maker marks or serial numbers on it. I have gone over it inch by inch and can't find anything.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Its a semi-V aluminum utility boat, not even close to being a Jon. Its factory built not a kit. It looks like it would be suitable for 10-15 HP, a 35 would be suicide. The lapstreak-like hull sides makes me think it could be a Starcraft, but other manufacturers had a similar design.

It has faint registration numbers on it. Contact the state DMV and see what paperwork they have on it.

southkogs

Staff member
Good chance it's from the late 60s or very early 70s and so didn't require a HIN on it. And also as reasonably possible it was bought from Sears or Montgomery Ward - and the plates that were there just came off over time.

Neighbor of ours had a boat they bought from Wards that looked like that one.

jmok1978

Seaman
Its a semi-V aluminum utility boat, not even close to being a Jon. Its factory built not a kit. It looks like it would be suitable for 10-15 HP, a 35 would be suicide. The lapstreak-like hull sides makes me think it could be a Starcraft, but other manufacturers had a similar design.

It has faint registration numbers on it. Contact the state DMV and see what paperwork they have on it.
Yeah, the OK reg numbers are really old, there isn't anyting in the Oklahoma DMV database already checked.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like it would be suitable for 10-15 HP, a 35 would be suicide.
Yeah, a 35 wouldn't be what I'd want to run every day but you'd have to have known my Uncle Art, an old country boy from Ky, back in the day could tune a car by ear, you wanted something made or fixed, just bring him the old one or describe what you wanted and he'd come up with it. He had both the 12 ft V and the 35 Merc sitting around. I didn't see it or him running it but was told that it scared the crap out of him just before taking it out again. The Merc went on my Cousin's bass boat

jmok1978

Seaman
Yeah, a 35 wouldn't be what I'd want to run every day but you'd have to have known my Uncle Art, an old country boy from Ky, back in the day could tune a car by ear, you wanted something made or fixed, just bring him the old one or describe what you wanted and he'd come up with it. He had both the 12 ft V and the 35 Merc sitting around. I didn't see it or him running it but was told that it scared the crap out of him just before taking it out again. The Merc went on my Cousin's bass boat
Yeah, I'll probably try and get something right under 10 so I don't have to keep up registration in my state.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check out the Aerocraft website. I have a 1956 Aerocraft with that same lapstrake styled side walls. Mine still has the original tag in it. Its a 14ft and the max hp it says its rated for is 40. I'd never put that big of motor on it myself. I'm going with a 25.

jmok1978

Seaman
Check out the Aerocraft website. I have a 1956 Aerocraft with that same lapstrake styled side walls. Mine still has the original tag in it. Its a 14ft and the max hp it says its rated for is 40. I'd never put that big of motor on it myself. I'm going with a 25.
I think you are right on it being an aerocraft? Where is the original tag on yours? I would expect to see two small rivet holes where it used to be if it had one, can't find any small rivet holes.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
mine was attached to the original wood on the transom inside boat. When I removed it to replace the wood, I found a serial number under the starboard side outer wood piece about mid way down the hull. Was full of original white paint. Did not see it until I used paint stripper. Its was stamped very shallow but there.
I can post a picture later tonight

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Zoom in on the right side of this picture and you can see the serial numbers and inside the boat you can see the piece of transom wood that had the metal plate on it

Attachments

• KQJM5424.JPG
    KQJM5424.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

jmok1978

Seaman
Zoom in on the right side of this picture and you can see the serial numbers and inside the boat you can see the piece of transom wood that had the metal plate on it
Thanks! I'll check my boat this weekend and see what I can see.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
painted pics

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3112.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3112.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_IMG_3117.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3117.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 5