14' Aluminum issues

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice
I've been checking out the forum for a while in preparation of my 14' aluminum fix, but I have a couple of concerns.

The first is the transom. Someone had obviously replaced the wood with non-marine grade plywood. Getting it off both sides was easy, but now I have this hard black residue on the aluminum. Any suggestions for taking it off? Chemicals? Grinding?

I also discovered that aluminum trim at the top of the transom was cracked, and whoever "fixed" it last time just covered over it with another sheet of aluminum. Then they screwed through the sheet so now there are about 10 extra holes in the boat. Should I replace the piece altogether (where do I find a replacement?) or should I just braze or weld the crack?

I also have 2 cracks in one rib at the bow. Again, can these be brazed or welded? Is any of this worth the time and money? The boat was free.

I'm not sure why my images are not coming through, but you can see all everything in the gallery at http://blakephotography.ca/iboats/boat/. The transom photos are #1-6, and the crack images are 7-9.

Thanks, looking forward to your input.

Pat

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, The PO basically cut out the rear skin of the boat to replace the transom and then attempted to coat it with something to waterproof it which was a catastrophe!!! If you want to repair this boat correctly, I think you'll spend more than it's worth. I'm NOT a Tin Boat kind of guy so I'll let those that are respond with their thoughts and ideas. I wish you luck!!!!:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
I don't recognize this boat specifically:
fetch

But, although it looks a frightful mess, it doesn't appear to have had the transom removed, it's just recessed rather then flush w/ the hull bottom & sides.

Compare these two transoms:
20140505boat5.jpg

photo2_zps8d50cd7c.jpg

Notice how the 2nd boat's transom is recessed so there's a lip all the way around it? I think your boat was built similar to the 2nd boat.

The previous owner (PO) certainly didn't do you any favors, I don't think it's a total loss yet. A ton of work to get whatever that black stuff is, off, though...........

I think a combination of mechanical (scrapping, grinding, sanding, soda blasting, pressure washing) and chemical (stripper) means will get some of that gunk off. If it's that flex-seal carp that will seal a screen door into the bottom of a jon boat, it will be tough to remove.

Wear the proper protection when you work on it. Aircraft stripper is mighty powerful but extremely nasty stuff to work with.

Good luck w your project

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Haven't seen too many that are rougher than that one, but that's mainly due to all the junk on that one. That boat needs a good cleaning to be properly evaluated. Remove the rotten wood on the transom exterior and clean the black bull (probably plastic roof cement) on the inside. Some stripper and then a wire cup brush in a grinder with take all of that crapola paint off... then you can see what you have to work with.

Anything is repairable and I don't think that boat is in as bad a shape as it looks right now.

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the replies. In my search for a trailer for this thing, I'm also searching for a new boat so hopefully I don't have to do the repair at all. If I do go ahead, do you think the the wood that had been installed was necessary with that kind of width? I'm pretty much stuck with that now that I have 8 holes in the transom, but should I go with a similar size (rectangular) as opposed to following the contour of the boat?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
The wood should actually go on the inside of the transom so it can stay nice and dry on the inside of the boat.

The holes in the transom can be fixed easily by skimming them over with a metal type epoxy like JB Weld Marine after the new transom wood is installed inside the boat.

The hardest part of fixing this boat up will be cleaning it up, everything after that will be a piece of cake.

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the help, I bought another 14' aluminum last night and I'll be selling this boat for whatever I can get for it.