13 Ft. Zodiac

hey guys, I am getting this used Zodiac for $100, no patches or anything, but it looks faded, is there anything I can use to restore this back to new?

is this a good buy.

I am saving up for a 12' Saturn, should I get this instead and fix it up or go with the Saturn?

Thanks
mike

011500010203011611200805278f0a84316.jpg

EDID: Just saw this too, what do you guys think?
http://aquamaxdirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=242347

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 13 Ft. Zodiac

for a $900 difference, i would go with the used one. you can always upgrade later. armoral should work on it.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like an old Avon, if so material is Hypolan which is much tougher and more UV resistant than the PVC of a Saturn. From the picture, looks like the tubes are in good shape and the bow dodger is faded. This is really a cosmetic issue. I have an Avon that looks very similiar, previous owner cut off the Bow dodger for some reason. Mine is a 1990, functions as new. The old Avons were very well built and if cared for will give years of service.

A little more info, the bottom is Inflatable semi-rigid.
What does that mean?
I haven't see this in person yet, but this does have a V hull right?
I ask the seller but he hasn't respond yet, and it holds up to 40HP motor.
As soon as he get's back to me, I'll make arrangements to go pick it up this weekend.

I'll take pics and post it up, and will sure need some advised how to make it look nicer, clean it up, if there's any kind of special paint or anything like that for it.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has aluminum floorboards with an inflatable keel underneath. Makes for a shallow V hull. Good in smooth water, stable in rough water but a rough ride in a chop. Unless you get either a Zodiac Futura with speed tubes or a cat hull like an AMI, all inflatables will give a similiar ride. Look at the plates on the inside of the transom gives HP capacity and load info, serial number on the outside of the transom give year. Again if an Avon and taken care of is a good buy.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Instead of Armorall, use 303 by 3m. I've heard that the silicone in Armorall will make patches hard to bond. But a protectant will put a shine back in the tubes. Don't think you can do much with the bow dodger, maybe a dye for nylon.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can use liquid rubber to restore it, looks pretty good from the pictures I've seen, also tuf coat is another liquid rubber product

Looks like an old Avon, if so material is Hypolan which is much tougher and more UV resistant than the PVC of a Saturn. From the picture, looks like the tubes are in good shape and the bow dodger is faded. This is really a cosmetic issue. I have an Avon that looks very similiar, previous owner cut off the Bow dodger for some reason. Mine is a 1990, functions as new. The old Avons were very well built and if cared for will give years of service.

Yes, it's an Avon, so the material is Hypolan? If this can handle 2-3 foot wave that will be all I need, it does handle up to 40HP, but I'll be putting a 30 HP on it.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It will handle 2-3ft waves, the comfot of the ride will depend on your speed. My boat is a 15ft and I've had it out in 2-3ft seas. handles it well off plane going into waves, have the boat right at the planning point when going with the waves. Sort of surf through the waves. If you want to go faster You'll give up before the boat does.

It will most likely not see that very often, but only once or twice a year. It will be no more than 1 foot wave, mostly pulling a tube and lake side camping. Those waters are very clam, flat as a road.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Works very well is those types of waters. With a 30hp you should get speeds in the upper 20's.

Would you also be able to tell me, if the 1988 Avon 13' Inflatable Boat were made of PVC or Hypolan?

One on craigslist for $800 right in NY. Just a though, but I am waiting for the guy with the 13' to be back to me.

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost positive it would be Hypalon. $100 is a great price. Would probably sell on e-bay for $1000+ Anyone else on the forum disagree? Good luck

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never pay $900 for an old inflatable, the rubber has a limited lifespan, even hypalon, if it is older than 10 years 100-300 should be your max payout unless it was stored inside in immaculate condition

I heard from the guy back this morning. This is what he said "It has a semi rigid inflatable v shape, it has some patches on the bottom and has an extremely slow leak. It is a 1986 and I have the registration"

Questions:

1) For $100 will it worth it to buy and fix it up. How hard will it be to find the small leak?

2) With the patch on the bottom of the boat, will it affect speed? As I said I
plan on achieve 20+ MPH, how big of a motor would I need for this?

3) How long more can this last me for? (It will be use like 2 weekend a month just for cursing and towing tubes, and about 2 time a year camping)

Thanks for the help guys.
-Mike

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In response to Sunaj- you are correct that price would depend on condition. Like all boats storing outside will quickly show wear. Mine is almost 20 years old and material is almost llike new. I worry more about the seams breaking down than the material.

Patches on the bottom shouldn't affect performance much. Are the patches on the tubes or the bottom? If they are on the bottom they are mostly cosmetic and will keep water out of the boat. If they are on tubes obviously affects inflation. Just keep an eye on them and check occasionally to insure they aren't peeling off or leaking.

Slow leak could be a number of things- leaky valves, seams or a small hole somewhere. To check for leak get sme soapy water and spray around the seams, suspect areas etc. The leak will bubble up. Many continue to use the boat with smal leaks by just checking air more frequently. With inflatables you have to do this anyway as the tube pressure is sensitive to temp changes. Tubes can be rock hard in the middle of the afternoon and soft in the early morning. Have to be careful to maintain proper inflation. Inflation does affect performance and ride.

thanks jnewtonsem,
good info. I am waiting on his respond to see if the tube is patch also or just the bottom of the boat. I know the weather affect the air in the boat, If it's the seam leaking slowly, is that fixable, or is it a hard fix?