12v power via cig lighter installation

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all,

I have a 'kit' for installing a 12v power supply. I want to fit it to my boat (Maxum 1750 bowrider - 96 - merc 3.0). Its seems pretty straightforward, the kit has the socket, + and - wires and is fused so I could wire it straight to the battery. Is there somewhere closer to the dash it could be wired to? Maybe a fuse box for the current electronics etc or do I lenghten the wires and run straight to the battery? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance,

Darren.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 12v power via cig lighter installation

I know of no reason you cannot charge through that port as long as you don't over do it; i.e. attempt to pump in too much current from your charger. Your cig lighter may have a fuse which makes it easy; don't overload the fuse and you're good to go.

If no fuse, a 16 AWG wire will carry 10 amperes and I'd bet your lighter is wired with at least that, probably more like 14 AWG which will carry 15 amperes. So a 10 ampere rated battery charger would do just fine.....just get the polarity right + to +.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

He is simply installing a 12v accessory socket and doesn't intend to charge the battery through it (although that is certainly possible). Wire the socket POS wire to the positive terminal on the fuse panel. Connect the NEG wire to the ground bus on the fuse panel. There is no need to run wires all the way to the battery. DO NOT get these two connections reversed as you could damage anything you plug into that socket.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

A couple of things to consider before you do it.

1: Before you wire it consider what it is going to be used for.
if it is a high drain type device then you may want to wire it so it only has power when the motor is
running so you do not run down the battery, or wire to a battery other than the starting battery.

Low power devices like cell phone charger, GPS, VHF handheld radios then you may want power
when the motor is not running and they will not run down your battery unless left on for and
extended time without running the motor.

2: If your a saltwater boater get a good Stainless Steel outlet.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

It' going to be for GPS, Ipod, air pump etc so nothing too heavy and it will be freshwater use only. This may sound stupid but will the fuse box be easy to spot on my boat? The boat is 60 miles away so can't check until the weekend.

Thanks,

Darren.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Put one on our boat a couple of years ago. Great for charging the cellphone, marine radio etc. Be careful what you use it for though. Do you have dual batteries and a switch ??

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Negative! I'm buying a spare battery and thinking of fitting a switch. Nothing will be left plugged in for any great length of time though. Blowing up the tube will be it's main use... Where was the fuse box on your boat?

Darren.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Will your fuse box be easy to spot????? Yes -- it is the panel that has all the fuses in it and generally located on or under the console. If the switches on the console have a little button under or along each one, you have circuit breakers -- not fuses.

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,

Do forgive my ignorance... A little knowledge is a dangerous thing as they say, and my knowledge is little!!!!

Cheers,

Darren.

john from md

Commander

Some older small boats may not have but one or two fuses under the panel and they can be in line fuse holders and not a fuse block. In any event, most have bus bars for POS and NEG. You can usually just use female spade lugs to hook up to the bus and put your fuse in line.

You can also tap off of the RED wire on your ignition switch.

Regards,

John

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

He is simply installing a 12v accessory socket and doesn't intend to charge the battery through it (although that is certainly possible). Wire the socket POS wire to the positive terminal on the fuse panel. Connect the NEG wire to the ground bus on the fuse panel. There is no need to run wires all the way to the battery. DO NOT get these two connections reversed as you could damage anything you plug into that socket.

I don't know where I got the cig lighter part. Must have gotten confused with an earlier post I must have read. Oh well, your mind is the first to go.

Mark

john from md

Commander

Ah Mark, if your lucky it is the first thing to go. Then you don't remember about the second thing. :eek:

John