12v access to "remote" batteries

tango13

Seaman
My boat has a dual battery setup under the hood (engine compartment), and the hood has a power ram system. My biggest fear is that if for whatever reason I have dead batteries, I wont have access to boost. The risk is low, as I have a battery switch under my rear seat wich is manully accessible, but Murphy's law lives true and I want to make sure I'm prepared.

My thoughts are running a 2-pin quick connect wire harness to one of the batteries, permanently installed with ring connectors. I could run he harness through an access that I found beside the rear seat. From there, I would have another one of those harness systems and in theory could attach them to a power source (someones booster cables). The intention would be to proovide enough juice to raise my hood ram, and then have access to throw jumpers straight to the batteries....

Ive attached a pic of my hood setup and the harness I'm thinking. One question have is regarding the 10 amp fuse in the system. I'm not very knowledgeable with electrical, but I feel like the ram system probably doesn't pull more than 10 amps.

Attachments

• harness.jpg
    harness.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
  • boat hood.jpg
    boat hood.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Install a quick pin with a cable lanyard in the actuator clevis vs the current clevis pin.

Route the cable to the edge of the hatch and retain with a staple or screw

Then if you loose power OR THE ACTUATOR FAILS. Just pull the cable to pull the pin and lift