125hp WOT question

bayliner11

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
1
I have an 84 bayliner capri 1900 with a 125hp force outboard. When motor is cold it runs great (4000 rpm) 35 mph at WOT. When motor heats up after running for about 15-20 mins it maxs out at 2000rpm and 20mph. If you let it sit for a couple of hours it will run good again. I don't think its a fuel delivery problem. Could this be a stator or some other electrical problem? I have changed the spark plugs and battery with no change. Anyone have any ideas? I am getting a little frustrated!
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 125hp WOT question

My bet is that a coil is heating up, and then you are losing spark to one (or more) cylinders.

Run the motor till it acts up, then immediately check for spark.

By the way, 4000 rpm at wide open throttle IS NOT "running great."
Your motor should be reaching 5000 rpm at WOT.
You are lugging the engine and causing undue stress to the engine.
Soon you will have more problems than you care for.

Reprop the motor and get those rpm up where they belong.
 

gigoiii

Recruit
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
1
Re: 125hp WOT question

Check the carbs, make sure the inner flaps are wide open at WOT. same happened to me. you can do it with out the motor running
 
Top