125 Force splined washer behind prop??

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer
My brother has a 125 in a mid 80s Bayliner. Over the winter he removed the lower unit to have the skeg fixed. He put it back together a couple weeks ago but didn't put the prop on until today. He realized that he'd lost the splined washer that goes behind the prop. I told him I'd try to find one for him but have looked several places and can't even come up with a part number. Can anyone point me in a direction? It looks like the one on my Mercruiser 160 would fit it, but I'm sure they're different.
All help is much appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 Force splined washer behind prop??

If the engine is also a mid-'80s engine, the thrust washer is not splined. Check the prop hub. Corrosion sometimes sticks them in there really well and they come off with the prop. It's a bear to remove when this happens.

At any rate, it is called a "spacer, propeller" part # 523099-1

Do not try to run without the spacer. The prop will slide down the shaft, contact the gearcase and wear it until the shaft splines jam into the prop splines and stop the movement. Then you have the pleasure of trying to remove the stuck prop in addition to the worn gearcase.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, Frank, but I'm confused a little. We slid the prop onto the shaft and about 1/8" or so of the splines were sticking out the back. We looked in the manual and the exploded picture pointed to something called "splined washer", then a locking tab washer and then the prop nut. To be truthful, the whole setup looked just like what's on my Mercruiser, except the prop itself is smaller. This thrust washer you mention...is it between the prop and the gearcase? If so, I think it is in it's proper place. The piece that is lost goes between the prop nut and prop. At least that's how he remembers it being when he removed it last fall and that's how the picture shows it. I will admit that it's not on OEM manual, it's either a Clymer's or Seloc.
Have I really confused things now?

thanks again

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Frank, think he means the back spline tablock...front a slip......just looked at mine.
Dude, run to a good old Bayliner/Merc shop. They will have the parts..or can order..get the right stuff, what looks right, aint..