125 Force 1988, Identify thermostat and tell-tale hole

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't have the manual for the engine yet and have searched, but want confirmation that the thermostat housing and tell-tale hole/plug are correctly located on this block. Below are two pictures: 1.) front shot of where I believe the thermostat is located (four bolts on top side of head), and 2.) tell-tail plug (silver color slotted head) on the top of the head. I tried to loosend the plug with an impact driver, but wouldnt budge. Suggestions on getting it loose?

Thanks,
Aaron

IMG_20120729_223441.jpg
IMG_20120729_223629.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 125 Force 1988, Identify thermostat and tell-tale hole

You are correct on both counts.

That plug can be stubborn. A little bit of heat from a propane torch and an Impact driver may be what you need to get it loose. Like the one shown below. You hit it with a hammer to loosen or tighten fasteners.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1343674617&sr=1-3&keywords=impact+driver

I also remember reading where one person started the motor up and got it up to normal operating temperature to heat it up in order to get the plug loose.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are correct on both counts.

That plug can be stubborn. A little bit of heat from a propane torch and an Impact driver may be what you need to get it loose. Like the one shown below. You hit it with a hammer to loosen or tighten fasteners.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1343674617&sr=1-3&keywords=impact+driver

I also remember reading where one person started the motor up and got it up to normal operating temperature to heat it up in order to get the plug loose.

Thats what I had to do, I ran the engine for about 10 minutes, shut it down, torched the flat head screwdriver bolt for another couple of minutes, then it still was a pain in the a** to get out with the impact screwdriver....but it started going after a few good whacks..., even after it started spinning i still managed to do this to a screwdriver...stick with the impact until its almost out.IMAG1045.jpg
IMAG1086.jpg

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Much worry about cracking the head or gasket?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Much worry about cracking the head or gasket?

the screw was in the block, and with the little propane torch just some direct heat to the screw for about 60-90 seconds is plenty. The goal is not to turn it red, but to expand the metal away from the bolt just enough. Then rap good with a hammer and the impact screwdriver. Its prob going to take more then a few hits until you see it moving.

I had to be more careful around the wires from the coils/stator then the block.

wickware

Lieutenant

Are you using penetrating oil and letting it work before hammering too hard? Would drilling the center almost through with a ?? drill bit or Etc. if the plug is ? ? dia help to break the threads? Or! Has anyone drilled fairly close to the threads and cut closer (by hand), to collapse the threads to break them before hammering too hard?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if I remember right, its a stainless steel bolt, in the block of the motor...I don't think with a standard impact bit and hammer your going to damage the block before snapping a hardened bit. I could be wrong.
Its a flat head screw fitting - in this forum alone HUNDREDS of guys have complained about this little bolt and getting it out. Everyone eventually breaks it loose with an impact hammer. Stick with the correct tool before you result to Drilling a hole in your block. I think a lot more could go wrong with that.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I've never had to resort to drilling but if it was a motor that saw use in saltwater I'm sure that it may have been done before.

Any folks out there in sunny Florida ever have to drill that plug out?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+ 1 on the penetrating oil - that could help, but get the right stuff, (not WD40) And you may even be able to access the bolt with the oil if you take off the thermostat. I just did this not long ago and noticed that there was some type of film on the bolt, pretty sure the factory used loctight or something similar.

jeremy217

Recruit

I must of got lucky, sprayed my with some good penetrating oil and then took a big screw driver with a pair of vise grips and broke loose and spun right out

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I must of got lucky, sprayed my with some good penetrating oil and then took a big screw driver with a pair of vise grips and broke loose and spun right out

REALLY lucky!

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If a dose or two of penetrating oil, soak time, some heat and judicious use of force don't deliver the desired results and drilling is your last resort, be aware that tthe plug is a NPT (pipe thread) and as such is tapered. Be careful you don't use too large a drill bit, or you'll mess up the threads in the head and create even more work.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a good call out on the pipe thread...don't need to over tighten the bolt down either once you put it back in.

foodfisher

Captain

Heating causes swelling and cooling causes shrinkage, both are movements that will crack the corrosion "weld" allowing the penetrating fluids to penetrate. Different metals, aluminum and steel expand and contract at different rates causing the same crack. PB blaster is my go to penetrator. Time to soak, Impact driver with a good whollop, more penetration, time to soak, another whollop, etc. When you see movement give it two whollops. penetrate and two more till it's out. Patience and persistance will prevent the need for drilling and tapping. Unless Murphy is on duty.