120v inverter and batteries

tomconnolly

Seaman
Does anyone install an inverter to run microwave and water heater, and is one marine battery enough to run these occasionally (in addition to 2 standard batteries)? What is the safe and best way to wire the inverter into the 120v system? Should install a second battery switch so I can use any of the 3 batteries for inverter power, and allow the alternator to charge all 3?

alldodge

Staff member
You will need more then one Bat and best/safest way to install one is hire an electrician.

Is your WH plumbed into the motor? If not that is the easiest way to get hot water

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
I tried keeping a mini fridge in my work van "as an electrical contractor" for me and the guys.
Luckily I usually had a second van for the guys on site or close by. most times..
It was nice to be able to run hammer drills, saws and charge dewalt batteries in BFE.. Bumb $#@& Egypt.
I had 4 or 5 batteries between the seats plus the battery under the hood..
I think I remember it being 6 batteries (for a fridge)amps are way less for a fridge over a micro wave.
Anyway it was really bad. Ended up isolating the cab batteries during the day, and hooked it back up on the way home to charge up. Dead van at end of work day is bad..
That little fridge would kill 6 batteries in 3-5 hours.
My only out was run 100-400 feet of drop cord when I got to jobsite if there was power available and just use batteries during transit.
I also killed 2(two) 100+ amp GM alternators. And thats way more alternator than you have on any boat motor.
End of story is.
An inverter pretty much is best suited for small things like charging cell phones.
It takes A LOT of 12 volt to run 120 volt.., trust me I know.
I ended up removing the 400-500 pounds of batteries and chunked the fridge to the shop.
Started carrying generator for drills and saws when needed.

REALLY really really bad idea.

Fridge-$150.00
5 batteries-$400.00
2 alternators @ $200. ea = $400.00
Dead van on site 15-20 times PRICELESS
With cable and ends it was over $1000.00 wasted plus my labor and tinkering and jumping off,. and being stranded a few times. (on land)
It was a constant battle,. all the time.
I was a lot younger then too.

tomconnolly

Seaman
Yes it is. Your right I'm just thinking at night I'd like to keep the water hot without having to run engine. Thanks!

tomconnolly

Seaman
I tried keeping a mini fridge in my work van "as an electrical contractor" for me and the guys.
Luckily I usually had a second van for the guys on site or close by. most times..
It was nice to be able to run hammer drills, saws and charge dewalt batteries in BFE.. Bumb $#@& Egypt.
I had 4 or 5 batteries between the seats plus the battery under the hood..
I think I remember it being 6 batteries (for a fridge)amps are way less for a fridge over a micro wave.
Anyway it was really bad. Ended up isolating the cab batteries during the day, and hooked it back up on the way home to charge up. Dead van at end of work day is bad..
That little fridge would kill 6 batteries in 3-5 hours.
My only out was run 100-400 feet of drop cord when I got to jobsite if there was power available and just use batteries during transit.
I also killed 2(two) 100+ amp GM alternators. And thats way more alternator than you have on any boat motor.
End of story is.
An inverter pretty much is best suited for small things like charging cell phones.
It takes A LOT of 12 volt to run 120 volt.., trust me I know.
I ended up removing the 400-500 pounds of batteries and chunked the fridge to the shop.
Started carrying generator for drills and saws when needed.

REALLY really really bad idea.

Fridge-$150.00
5 batteries-$400.00
2 alternators @ $200. ea = $400.00
Dead van on site 15-20 times PRICELESS
With cable and ends it was over $1000.00 wasted plus my labor and tinkering and jumping off,. and being stranded a few times. (on land)
It was a constant battle,. all the time.
I was a lot younger then too.
Oh crap. Saved me a lot of expense including an alternator... Thanks for the detail.