120hp Force overhaul???

Namron

Cadet
My baby was running great around 40 mph, then instanly shut down, I cranked it back up and it ran rough with no idle. comp. check - top three cyl. 140 compression, bottom 95. I hope it's not due to something stupid I did, I poured about a half of cupful of injector cleaner into my gas... stupid! The mechanic is saying rebuild, but I'm thinking the carbs might be gummed up due to loosened gunk, but he's afraid the motor might come apart if we just boil the carbs. Please advise! Thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 120hp Force overhaul???

What year is it? Injector cleaner should not be fatal,if only used briefly, and it may free-up a stuck ring.<br />The course of action i'd take if it were mine, would be to pull the carbs, clean them, pull the heads, carefully inspecting the original gasket, in particular, the area of the bad jug, for signs of blow-by.It may just be a blown head gasket, or manifold gasket.<br /><br />If the jug walls look good,and the piston crowns are all good,and there are no signs of metal flakes or melted areas, a partial rebuild is the way to go.<br />Replace the rings only, and reassemble. If there is any evidence of scoring on the crowns of any of the pistons, i would completely dismantle the motor, clean all the parts, photogragh them and list them on ebay.