$1200 to replace floor a good deal?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got a quote for $1200 to replace all ply on the floor of my 19' i/o bowrider with glassed marine grade lumber with a coat of gel coat on the deck over the glass. The guy told me $1200. Is that a good deal?

fireman57

Captain
Re: $1200 to replace floor a good deal?

It depends on how much time and patience you have to do it yourself. There are a ton of threads here that take you step by step on this job. You wil also have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. 1200.00 might not be a bad price for this but I would bet he will find the stringers are bad and will need to replace which will up the ante considerably.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

$1200?For the amount of work that goes into the job,yes that is a good price.Fireman,said,if the stringers are bad,cost will rise.Bank on it.Talk it over with the shop that is to repair it about bad stringers and if the cost will cover that to.<br />Now if you are handy with tools and have the time,you are looking in the right direction!

Laddies

Banned

If that includes removeal of the old floor not just troughing some plywood over the old floor and glassing it that price is a steal, it's alot of work---Bob

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks,<br /><br />I will go with this guy to do the floor as long as my leak is not my transom..If that is the case, you will see my boat for sale on iboats soon. I peeked and can see the glass stringers seam to be in good shape. I had a new motor installed last summer and since then, I have had a leak. When i pulled my boat out of the water with the plug in and some water in the bilge, water was leaking on the outside from where the outdrive meets the transom. I am assuming that the transom bolts need to be tightened or my transom is rotting (no signs of rot). The mechanic that installed the motor told me he does not touch those bolts when putting in a new motor and/or replacing bellows. More money into the pit!

fireman57

Captain

If your transom is rotted then again I say how much time and patience do you have? There are lot of posts on how to do this and it is not as bad as you think. If you love the boat then put a couple of days in it. Even if the inside of the job isn't perfect looking chances are no one will see it and it won't hurt anything as long as it is structurally sound when you are done.