120 Mercruiser 2.5L - No spark

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there. All of a sudden I have no spark. I had the carburetor professionally rebuilt. Hooked it all back up. Lots of gas, I have clear gas hose from the fuel pump up to the carb. Should start right up right, nope. Crank and crank and pump the throttle…Nothing! So I ground my test light and put the other end on the negative side of the coil. I got a light, then a blink, then nothing. The coil has 8V on the + with key on. The engine is a 1972 Mercruiser 120, sorry. The old style white resistors have continuity. I also assumed they were good because I was getting power to the coil. I tried a set of brand new points, gapped them perfectly, then tried three different condensers, 2 were new. I sanded under the points, everything. Where am I going wrong.
How do I test the black wire that goes from the - side of the coil, to the distributor, but the end goes on the screw of the breaker points.
image.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I'm no artist but bunch of wires don't work for me

You have points
Remove all wires off the coil except the distributor (dizzy) wire going to the negative side of the coil

Loosen the dizzy, remove the cap, then turn the dizzy so you can see the points open/close.

That works
Attach a jumper from the battery to the positive side of the coil and crank the motor. Does it start?

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm no artist but bunch of wires don't work for me

You have points
Remove all wires off the coil except the distributor (dizzy) wire going to the negative side of the coil

Loosen the dizzy, remove the cap, then turn the dizzy so you can see the points open/close.

That works
Attach a jumper from the battery to the positive side of the coil and crank the motor. Does it start?
Thank you for your reply.
The 2 brown wires that are wrapped and heat shrunk(very nicely) to one connector that go to the - side of the coil with the black one that goes to dizzy, is that the tach wires.
Everything you said. Is that all one task. Unscrew dizzy cap and pull it off I can see the points right there. Don’t undo the dizzy like when I set the timing right?

I won’t be at the boat until Friday morning

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Down in my signature, you'll see Don's Adults Only Section,.....
Click on it,....
In there are 2 threads on points ignition systems,......
All yer answers are in one of those threads,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
File the points, then gap the points, then set the dwell

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you for your reply.
The 2 brown wires that are wrapped and heat shrunk(very nicely) to one connector that go to the - side of the coil with the black one that goes to dizzy, is that the tach wires.
Everything you said. Is that all one task. Unscrew dizzy cap and pull it off I can see the points right there. Don’t undo the dizzy like when I set the timing right?

I won’t be at the boat until Friday morning

I'm wanting you to verify that the points do open and close. This is the reason to loosen the dizzy, don't remove it. If the points do open and close then they will work.

I want you to hot wire the coil just to find out it does run, disconnect jumper wire to turn it OFF. If it does run, now reinstall as before and find out why it didn't do it before.

The 2 wires to the + side of the coil, one is full 12V when the motor is starting. The other goes thru a resistor to drop the current down to save the points

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have always set them at 18 thousands and it has worked fine before.
It cranks over, rotor spins around, points open and close but no little spark when they open?

alldodge

Staff member
Points don't spark
The points are not grounding the coil when they close or there is no power to the coil. With 12V on the + side and grounding the - side a spark will happen. All the points do is ground the - side

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there should not be a spark at the points. that would indicate that the condenser is bad

Just gapping points is close enough to run, setting the dwell with a meter is precise.

ignition dwell is the period of time the points are closed to charge the coil, which then fires when the points open. too little time (to small of dwell) and insufficient charge is built up.

additionally, once you set the points, you have to go back and set timing

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
there should not be a spark at the points. that would indicate that the condenser is bad

Just gapping points is close enough to run, setting the dwell with a meter is precise.

ignition dwell is the period of time the points are closed to charge the coil, which then fires when the points open. too little time (to small of dwell) and insufficient charge is built up.

additionally, once you set the points, you have to go back and set timing

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1CA97E64-2C0D-4D1C-BF88-6BB3D77168D5.jpeg
There is my set up. The white wire goes from the resistors up to the + side of the coil. The 2 browns are my tach?

alldodge

Staff member
In short, for a points distributor there are not enough wires on the + side of the coil, and to many on the - side.

The + side should have at least 2 wires. One for full 12V and one for power thru the resistor.

The - side would have no more then two wires. One for the Dizzy and one for the Tach

Need to trace the wires. Remove all the wires from the coil, then use an ohm meter and check continuity from the resistor to which wire

Also turn key ON and see which wire gets power

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
dont forget the wire for the shift interupter ,those are the 2 brown ones on the neg side of the coil, interupter and tach

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In short, for a points distributor there are not enough wires on the + side of the coil, and to many on the - side.

The + side should have at least 2 wires. One for full 12V and one for power thru the resistor.

The - side would have no more then two wires. One for the Dizzy and one for the Tach

Need to trace the wires. Remove all the wires from the coil, then use an ohm meter and check continuity from the resistor to which wire

Also turn key ON and see which wire gets power
I thought so . I usually have my shift interrupt or on the negative too but I thought that was the problem

Mercruiser 120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The weird thing is it has worked for 3 summers how it is but would cut out all the time so I thought it was carb and gas issues
Oh sorry. How do you test a little condenser? Touch the condenser and the wire connector where it hooks on the points and check for continuity?

alldodge

Staff member
Put meter on high ohm scale. Touch probe to case and lead (must be disconnected). Meter will start low and slowly increase to infinity. This is called a all or nothing test. Your just finding out if its shorted or opened.