120 looper new carbs and over heat horn sounding

robert.barnes

Seaman
i put new carbs on my 120 looper these carbs were off a v 6 so i droped the the botom two and bolted on the top four put jets from old carbs in but motor wwould not run i changed out the whole carb ***. so i put the jets tha came with the carbs back in runs like a champ i am about three hundred rpms lower than original carbs (before on broke) on top end but boat runs great went to lake first time i have been able to run since last year wide open and after about 5 min warn horn sounds left bank was passenger bank was hot pulled all plugs look fine motor does not have any sign of beening to lean so put plugs back took off again horn sounds pull thermos. passenger bank not open driver bank stuck open took out thermos ran for 30 min. wide open and half throtle took plugs out three times and showed no sighn of running lean is it poss. that this is all thermo prob i think they fine last year but do not know for sure. if the motor was running lean i would see it on the plugs right i ordered new set of thermos today i just dont want to melt down motor

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120 looper new carbs and over heat horn sounding

Always start with the jets the carbs were produced with. Now, did you change the complete carb assembly (carb body & throttle body) or just the carb body?

What year V6?

What year V4?

What spark plugs?

robert.barnes

Seaman

dale i am the guy u have been helping with the 85 looper 120 i needed the one carb body i got the hole set off the v 6 sorry do not no the year i will see if i can find out but i changed out the carb and throtle body this may be a old prob i am not sure i have not been able to run the boat wide open since i first rebuilt the motor because of the cracked carb plus i have been at idle around the lake in 45 degree water until now

robert.barnes

Seaman

dale if u would like to call me my # 918-798-0035 i will call u back so u dont have to pay the long distance

robert.barnes

Seaman

buy looking at the numbers and the jets size i think these came off a 200 1988 1989 model motor

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, cool. You are running the airbox cover, right?

What spark plugs?

robert.barnes

Seaman

yes running the old air box cover the plugs areql78yc champion they r kind of blackish brown like its running rich

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What's the wot timing set at?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Check your manual. I think the 1985 V4's were supposed to be at 22*, but check to be sure.

robert.barnes

Seaman

i dont have a 85 manual i have a 86 it say 18 + or- 1

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

85's were different I believe.

robert.barnes

Seaman

i dont know how to find out any idea i could not find i shop man for a 85
would that make it get hot being retarded

pfinne

Recruit

I have a '88 120 and the air box has 18 deg marked on it for the timing if this helps.

robert.barnes

Seaman

also do u know about putting the new style themos in this motor i read something about taking out the throtle bypass if u use the new style r these beter or something i needtwo new ones so should i order these or stick with oem

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I prefer the newer style arrangement. Like 93 & newer. You'll get rid of the water control valve and all those hoses. You use the same thermostat assy. but discard the rubber gasket. Use the cap, spring & gasket from a 93 or so. make sure you have the black t-stat assy, not the white one.

robert.barnes

Seaman

what do u mean the rubber gasket the diaphram gasket or the seal also any idea were to find 85 timing

robert.barnes

Seaman

i found a reply from u on outboard motor biz from 2002 and you told a guy the 85 timming was 22 so i will re time and put new termos in and see what happens if so could u give me more details on termo chang out or is the old ones ok

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The rubber gasket that screws onto the t-stat assy. Discard that and use the paper gasket when you go to the 93 style cooling. Use the 93 cap & spring too.

The 1985 timing specs is in the 85 service manual. See why it's important to have the exact year manual?

robert.barnes

Seaman

yes sir i can not find i 85 manual but i think u very much i will see what i can find for a 85 man