12 foot Sea Nymph boat steering and throttle system

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice
hi i have an 1987 12 foot sea nymph alumminum boat with an 1985 evinrude 8hp i would like to eventually maybe put a steering wheel and throttle on it for cheap money. can i do this? if so i would really like an estimate of how much it would cost.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 12 foot Sea Nymph boat steering and throttle system

Welcome to the fleet Sean!

Well the term "cheap" is relative.

The controls you will need for an 85 Rude will run around $250-300 new. Sometimes you can find used controls in good condition much cheaper though, so dig around. Cables (type 479) will run from $25-40 new, but deals can be found if you look.

I havent a clue what steering components will run you, but Im assuming its going to run another $300-400 new rough guessing. Converting a tiller to remote steering/controls will cost some too.

If you could find a set up on a boat for parts somewhere would be ideal. Good luck in your project.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Stick steering would be a cheap way to go...personally I'd prefer to run a tiller on a 12 footer but to each his own:)

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Stick steering would be a cheap way to go...personally I'd prefer to run a tiller on a 12 footer but to each his own:)

Yeah theres not alot of room there to really set up a helm, Id stick with the tiller. My 15 foot is cramped for space with 2 full grown adults. (but Im 6'2" - 265)

Plus it wouldnt be cheap to convert.

ChillyB

Cadet

The old small runabouts had very simple steering. My dad's 1950-looking crestliner 14' had a covered bow with dash and low windshield. A simple steering wheel acted like a capstan. Cables routed down port and starboard sides, directed by pullies and coupled with a tension spring, pulled the motor left and right. He removed the cables and uses the tiller now. The grandkids still play with the steering wheel, though.