115 Yamaha overheat alarm at 1,800 - 2,000 RPM's

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
My 9 year old granddaughter asked me to take her tubing today. Great fun! I dropped everything to take her and my son out in the boat. Boat ran great, but on 3 occasions while I was running at about 2000 RPM's to go pick her up or just to make it through no wake zones, the overheat alarm went off. I shifted to neutral for less than a minute and it went away. The tell tale was peeing strong and it ran great at full throttle and at lower RPM's. Water pump replaced in In April at the start of our boating season here in Savannah Georgia, and over the winter I removed exhaust cover and cylinder heads to scrape out some accumulation of crud in this all salt water motor. That was to stop the overheat when running at WOT that I experienced last summer a few times. Full throttle is great. No more issues there.
Any ideas? Motor runs great. Just rebuilt carburetors and other than needing to increase idle RPM's a bit, it's in perfect shape. Specs call for idle to be 750 when idling in gear. Yep that's where I set the idle. In gear with muffs on!!!! It was late. I was working with a flashlight and not thinkin about the lack of resistance of a motor in gear, but not in water!! So it idles at about 600 in the water and drops to below 500 when idling in gear in the water. That's a bit low!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
seems to me if the overheat does not happen at idle only at 2000, idle RPM should not be your problem

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
That was simply a side note. Completely unrelated to the issue I'm asking about. Thanks for taking the time to critique my post though! I'll try to be more direct and to the point without any "frills" in the future.

Kola16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The idle RPM tangent got me side-tracked too haha. If your engine is used in saltwater you need to clean out all the deposits from that, kind of like you did when you took the heads off.

To do this you need some Rydlyme marine and a bilge pump or livewell pump to pump the Rydlyme through your engine for a few hours. Instead of doing a full explanation, here is a video to give you the idea:
If it is really bad, you may have to do a Rydlyme treatment, then take the heads off and use a pick to pick out the heavy deposits, and then another Rydlyme pumping treatment. If you do take off the heads and want to pick some out, buy some salt away and spray it in there too and it will take some salt "away" too.