115 Johnson won't Trim Down

bcorradi

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />I just purchased a boat with a 1978 115 Johnson and it seems to trim up ok, but it won't trim down. I have the original owners manual for it, but it doesn't seem to talk about the trim mechanics much. <br /><br />I checked a couple of different other posts on here and I've taken a small piece of wire and crossed the middle wire with the one that goes up and then with the one that goes down and it does the same thing. <br /><br />Also is there a way to manually get the motor to go down? <br /><br />Is Dexron II or III auto tranny fluid the correct fluid to use for it? Also where is the filler hole for it? <br /><br />Any information would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanx a lot and take care,<br />Brad

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Johnson won't Trim Down

ND.... That type PTT incorporates a solenoid for the up mode, and a simple wire connection to the electric motor for the down mode.<br /><br />The electric motor on that unit is a three wire motor. Trace the cable from the electric motor to its connector plug and unplug it. Inspect the plug to locate the ground terminal.<br /><br />Connect a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal to that ground terminal. Now, temporarily connect a jumper from the positive side of the battery to one of the remaining terminals, then the other terminal. If the unit now operates in both modes, there is a wiring problem elsewhere.<br /><br />However, if the unit still only operates in the up mode, and not the down mode, the electric motor is faulty.<br /><br />The fill hole is halfway up the reservoir on the opposite side of the electric motor. Have the engine in its extreme up position, then fill the reservoir to that overflow level. I'd suggest that you obtain the proper lube at your local dealership as I have no idea as to its equivalent.

bcorradi

Cadet

Joe,<br /><br />Thanx a lot for the info. I'm going to try what you suggested today. One other question for you. Is there any way that I can manually make the motor go down? <br /><br />Thanx a lot and take care,<br />Brad

bcorradi

Cadet

Joe,<br /><br />Here is another follow up. I jumped the wires like you said and it is able to go up, but not go down so I assume the electric motor is faulty. Do you have any rough idea on how much a new electric motor is? Also is it much to change it? <br />Thanx,<br />Brad<br /><br />P.S.: I really appreciate all your help.