115 HP v4 VRO Johnson what is VRO?

1985champion

Recruit
I just bought a 1985 fish ski boat and it has a 115HP V4 VRO outboard on it. I know nothing about it. Can someone tell me what the VRO is and how do I mix the gas? I have seen threads about removing the VRO but should I and what are the benefits of doing so? I have a 50HP Hyroshift Johnson on another boat but it is a 1972 and I am not familiar with this new one. I am waiting for the Seloc manual on the 115HP but do not have it yet. I need to get familiar with what I need to do before I put it in the water and need some help.

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 115 HP v4 VRO Johnson what is VRO?

Variable Ratio Oiling This engine should have an oil tank under the cover (some may use a remote tank). It monitors load and RPM and (theoretically at least) automatically injects the proper amount of oil into the fuel mix. Since the first indication that this system has malfunctioned is often a fried powerhead many have disconnected it and mixed their oil in the fuel at 50:1. Good luck! :)
Edited to add information.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 90 horse vro and loved it. Just keep the tank full of oil.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

There are no tanks under the cowl, it is in the boat in the stern , most likely. If you want to make sure this system is working, fill your oil tank and mark the level with a magic marker, then mix gas tank 50-1. After you run a six gallon tank empty,you should see the oil level drop 1/2 inch or so from your mark.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Agree w/ EN2. Premix with 50:1 until you're sure the VRO system is working.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When the VRO pump first came out, it stood for variable ratio oiling. These pumps would vary the amount of oil from 100 to 1 at idle to 50 to 1 at full throttle. OMC eventually discontinued their production and switched to an OMS pump which pumps oil at 50 to 1 regardless of what rpm the engine runs. All replacement pumps are OMS. If the boat is new to you, it might be best to temporarily premix oil in the gas tank at 50 to 1. Then check/mark the remote oil tank as mentioned. If it is also consuming oil from the remote tank, the worst you will have is a smoking engine till the main tank requires a fillup. Suggest you find an OEM service manual if you plan to do your own work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Personally if it were mine, i would convert it to a premixed motor, and just use the gas side of the pump.

1985champion

Recruit

Thank everyone for all the answers. I have ordered a Seloc manual for it and I am having a hard time finding any owners manual for the motor at all, so I hope the Seloc manual will tell me everything I need. I like the Idea of running the premix first and marking the oil tank to see if it is working. I am kind of Leary of separate oil and can see how that would stop working so I will probably remove the oil tank at some point. I have read the forum here before and gotten alot of my own answers from the info everyone puts out and this is the first time I have posted a question and I am really glad to know there are people out the like you all that will take the time to answer things. thanks a lot.