115 HP not enough?

Crazychud123

Recruit
Just bought a '95 Ranger Sport R72 last year. It has a 115 HP Yamaha Pro V on it. I took it out probably about 25 times last year. Its a great little boat, my only concern is that it seems "underpowered" and im not sure if there is actually something wrong with it, or if it is supposed to be that way. This is my first bass boat, so I dont know a whole heck of a lot about them. The top speed on it isn't terrible, probably somewhere around 35 MPH (not sure exactly, speedometer is digital and it's burnt out). I thought it would be faster, but its not really a big deal. The biggest concern I have is that shes a dog out of the hole. Takes a long time, probably 15 seconds for her to plane out. Ive played with the trim while taking off, doesnt make a difference. It runs good, idles fine, starts great. Everything else about it is in perfect condition, its been very well maintained. So I thought I'd ask before I get her out this season, see if anyone out there knows more about them. Maybe its just an underpowered model, or maybe its something more serious, I dont know. Its a fairly heavy boat for the size. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance for the advice.

eric hall

Cadet
Re: 115 HP not enough?

I have a 115 Suzuki on my Crestliner Eagle, 2166. Fairly biggish boat but it pulls well gets on the plane quick and easy (boat and trailer weigh 2 tons whicvh is about 4000 lbs) tops about 30mph given right tide and wind

What is your max rpms you can attain. When selecting a proper propeller, you are looking at overall performance. A 3 blade will give you overall top speed, but a 4 blade will give you a better hole shot. Need to take into consideration: gearcase diameter, gear ratio, type of hull, etc.

ninefinger

Recruit

You don't mention how much cargo / # of passengers on board. Could it be weight distribution affecting your take off? Try moving some weight up front. Also, hate to say it but check the deck - any soft spots? The foam in boats of that age is prone to getting water logged - adding many pounds to a boat. I have a 115 Yamaha Pro V of the same year and it moves my 17.5' Campion bowrider just fine - even with the water logged deck! (new deck in process)

Mike

Art Bernard

Banned

If the engine is running well and making power as it should than as mentioned in above posts you may need a different pitch on your prop or you may be waterlogged. Prop pitch to a boat is like transmission/rear end is to a car. If she's sluggish about getting on plane, but runs great once there you might consider more of a "powe prop" pitch and also consider weight distribution in the boat. With reguards to being water logged you can determine this by putting the boat in the water, getting your trailer weighed, than putting the boat on the trailer and getting a weight. Find out what the boats weight is supposed to be and compare it to the total weight of your trailer and boat minus the weight of your trailer. Make sure your boat is compleatly unloaded when you do this. If the weight is significantly more than it's "factory" weight, it's a good bet your waterlogged.

Art

emoney

Commander

How's the trim set on your boat when you take off? If it's too high, it's gonna affect how quickly you get on plane. My last bass boat was a 17' with a 135 Johnson on the back and it would top out at around 50mph with myself and my wife. Just to give you a reference. Sounds like you at least need to go try a couple different props out to see what changes. Most Marinas that sell props, will let you "test drive" one on your boat.