115 Evinrude quits.

esanford

Cadet
My 1984 115 hasn't pulled hard enough since I got it (14' hydrostream should JERK someone out of the water, but drags them instead). Then yesterday, at 3/4 - wide open throttle, it would just quit. It would start again in a second and go for a few more minutes, etc. Sounded like fuel starvation, cleaned a little junk out of the plastic fuel filter, but not much. Same thing happened. Battery drained after a few starts and only read 11V on guage, even when running. Electric? Fuel? What?<br />Thanks!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 115 Evinrude quits.

Go to the FAQ section & read the Won't Start post. Your description fits crud in the carbs & time to rebuild them. This is a common problem & a relatively easy task.

esanford

Cadet

On the lake motor would quit at throttle or at idle, inside of 5 min. Talked to a local outboard mech, he seemed sure it was gunk in carbs (especially since the boat sat over one summer). Took carbs completely apart, cleaned (nothing obvious found), ran in tank for 15 min @ 3000rpm, didn't quit. Took to lake, ran 5 min, quit at throttle. Started, but quit one more time before landing. Drove to Evinrude dealer, dropped off. Mech calls today, says low compression in two cylinders, probably bad oil pump; ~$2500 to overhaul. <br /><br />Does this sound right? Should I overhaul it myself (never done an outboard but have done V8), and how much could I save?

esanford

Cadet

Looking at eBay it looks like these motors can be had in good condition for much less than $2500. Is that a good option?

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Mech calls today, says low compression in two cylinders, probably bad oil pump; ~$2500 to overhaul. <br />
I would definately take it to another dealer if the mechanic thinks there is an oil pump in that engine. Now VRO, thats something different.

speed5

Seaman Apprentice

i had the same problem with my motor a few years back and turns out to be that i had a small hole in the head gasket. motor would run fine for the first 5 min {time it took to get out of 5mph zone} opened it up and five min later done it happens when the thermostats open and water flow into the heads . just try looking at the plugs if all are dirty but one theres you answer also ive done a power head it was easy but still ran into a few problems because it was an older motor but good luck

esanford

Cadet

The mech I'm sure said VRO- I just don't know what the difference is. What cost am I looking at to overhaul the powerhead myself vs. having it done (including fixing the VRO)? I see powerheadkit.com sells everything I need in a package for just over $500- has anyone used them? How about the used engine option?

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

powerheadkit.com is great that is where I bought all my parts. <br /><br />I will tell you you will end up with more than that into the motor by the time you get it done.(little things add up.) <br /><br />But I would imagine that I saved about $600-$700 rebuilding it myself.<br /><br />I would probably do it again. This time around I would greatly benefit from what I learned the first time. Plus I am sure you will have a new found understanding of outboards and a new found respect for your mechanic.