1100 Gph Aerator uses 1 1/8 hose can I reduce ?

northrivergeek

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a Shurflo Piranha 1100 GPH aerator, the out is barbed for a 1 /18 hose , instructions say to use smooth bore 1 1/8th hose not the ribbed, I cant find 1 /18 smooth non ribbed hose.. Ive found one place on the net that sells it so far and you have to buy the whole roll at 76 bucks I only need max 26 feet if I hook up both livewells to it .. I was wondering If I buy PVC clear in the 1 " if I can heat the hose up a little to soften it and make it fit over the 1 1/8th barb, will this still work ok its only 1/8 of an inch .. and then also would it be kosher to reduce that down at the spray head to 3/4 ?

No mention of it in the instructions! one way or the other..

Thanx in advance
Sean

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1100 Gph Aerator uses 1 1/8 hose can I reduce ?

You can buy reducers for the hose but I would not trust that PVC hose. Remember, the aerator pump is below water. And the PVC hose will eventually get hard and can break. Most marine stores sell it by the foot.

northrivergeek

Seaman Apprentice

You can buy reducers for the hose but I would not trust that PVC hose. Remember, the aerator pump is below water. And the PVC hose will eventually get hard and can break. Most marine stores sell it by the foot.

I have pvc hose in the boat now that is from 87 and its still soft, high pressure with threads, what Im more concerned about is the flow rate of going down an eighth and down to 3/4 at the spray head. Will it be kosher ??

northrivergeek

Seaman Apprentice

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have you tried Home Depot plumbing dept? sure when you reduce you increase pressure though. if it were supplying 2 live wells it would be split and the hose size would be reduced where it splits.

northrivergeek

Seaman Apprentice

have you tried Home Depot plumbing dept? sure when you reduce you increase pressure though. if it were supplying 2 live wells it would be split and the hose size would be reduced where it splits.

Home depot and Lowes here in Chattanooga,TN carry 1 inch , 1 1/4 or smaller or larger hose but no 1 1/8th except the standard ribbed not smooth inner wall hose, cheap looking stuff, and from what Ive read so far that ribbed hose will reduce flow, but its hard plastic hose doesn't look like it would stand up long haul.

I have two live wells I may not even hook up the font well cant decide .. I may just turn it into a tackle box lol .. I rarely use a live well, and If I did the back one is sufficient its the bigger of the two anyway . I prob will leave the front plumped with a PVC shut off on it encase I decide to use it at a later date

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good idea, 1 1/8 is a bastard size.