10' sitin kayak

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 10 ft. Palican sitin Kayak.
Just purchased a 30 lb Minn Koto also a 12 volt 35 amp battery.
Should this set up be ok for this senior.
Thks.
Bryan

ziggy

Admiral
I've no experience with what you question, but I'd guess it'll move ya along and be less work than a paddle.
my question is, what happens to the battery when you tip it upside down. if the battery falls it goes to the bottom. if it gets wet, it's a dead short + to -.

lastly, i've got a canoe, it isn't licensed or registered as it's human power, by me. however in my state (yours may be different rules) if i put any type of power (ie trollilng motor) on it, my canoe must be registered and get some numbers. that i gotta pay the state for. i like not paying the state and i don't mind paddling as i have nothing to maintain at all other than my paddle. and it's pretty maintenance free... and that makes me smile.....

good luck and i hope it works well for you.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You are in zero risk from electrocution with a 12 volt battery. A deep cycle battery in a 10 foot kayak may be another challenge though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
should be fine. I used a minnkota 35# trolling motor and a pair of motor cycle batteries in my canoe

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, love kayaking but as the years creek up, my shoulder gets a bit sore after a couple of hours. I have a sitin 10 ft. Pelican and love fishing, so just going through the task of trying to mount the kayak.
Thanks.