10 Million Candle Power

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Went to Costco today with a buddy. He picked up a 10 Million Candle Power "flash" light. It has a big ol' lead acid battery, has a stand to put it up at any angle and a shoulder strap (which you need, because it's heavy!). This thing is BRIGHT. We took it out in the back yard and pointed it up at the sky - could see the beam go a long long long way...put it away when we realized that the airplane flying over was in easy reach of the beam and the FBI probably wouldn't like us pointing things at airplanes.<br /><br />I was thinking that if we brought it fishing, we wouldn't need a fishfinder...we'd be able to see the bottom of the river with this thing. :) ... and with the heat it puts out, we could cook 'em too! :D <br /><br />Not too bad for $25.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 10 Million Candle Power

I was tempted by those too, js. Seems I have a light and screwdriver fetish. Can't never have enough variations. But, alas, so far I resisted that monster light.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

A light and screwdriver fetish huh...LOL, I thought I was strange.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you have a flashlight fetish check out a Surefire flashlight. They put out an incredible amount of light with something that is about the size of a magic marker. A little pricey, but a basic model can be had for about $40.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ed:<br /> If you have a flashlight fetish check out a Surefire flashlight. They put out an incredible amount of light with something that is about the size of a magic marker. A little pricey, but a basic model can be had for about $40.
Which one is the basic model, Ed? They make a zillion models in led and other.

D

DJ

A guy can NEVER have too many flashlights. :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> A guy can NEVER have too many flashlights. :D
Or too many screw drivers.. Hic-Up ;)

sangerwaker

Commander

My nephew has one of the 10 million cp lights, and let me tell ya, that thing is BRIGHT!!!!! I've got a 3 million cp light, and mine is nothing compared to that thing. A guy could get into some trouble with one of those things. Hmmmmm...

KaGee

Admiral

How do you change the lightbulb???????

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal,<br />Go to their websight. I have a G-2 Nitrolon, it has an intermittant button on the bottom & for full on you twist the bottom cap.<br /> http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/362/sesent/00 <br />The little light is prefocused & easily lights up my hole backyard & can throw a usefull beam at least a couple hundred feet.<br />Not as fancy as the alum models w/ better switches and LED's, but very usefull.<br />If you buy direct take advantage of the case of lithium batteries for a good price.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> How do you change the lightbulb???????
Here we go again!! <br /><br />I need the wattage of the current bulb, and is that bulb broken? burned out? missing? or simply inadequet? Is this manually operated by a rotary switch?, button? dimmer? remote? or other (if so, give detail) Lastly: Does the bulb want to change?? :D

dolluper

Captain

I feel left out now I bought a one-million candle powered one for 9 bucks CAN.replacement bulb 7 bucks ,rechargeable battery? OFF to costico now need more P-O-W-E-R to cook the eggs

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I got a 1 million candle flashlight for Christmas. I'm in love! Love that flashlight! But I now want a 10 million candle flashlight then I can send my east coast iboat friends signals. Cool! Maybe for valentines day. I wish, I wish, I wish.<br />Bassy

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

These lights are GREAT, and have many uses, but consider a limitation as well. Once had a similar model at sea on a ship, to help search the surface for man overboard, etc. What you should keep in mind is that at night, in most locations under normal weather conditions, the air cools faster than the water. When you shine this bright of a light on the surface, it tends to have the effect of using the high beams on your car headlights in the fog (in an amplified way). Though there may be no discernible fog that you can see..it may be a wonderfully clear night, the 2Mil candlepower light does a terrible job at seeing more than 50 yards, and a lower power light with lens will do a better job.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Positioning even a million CP handheld light (or smaller) can be a trick for the purposes of avoiding the glare. But when you need to know where shore is it sure beats a little double D cell unit all to pieces! I will carry a million CP if I'm planning to boat at night, plus I'll have a couple water-proof Pelican flashlights on board as well. Pelican makes a great product also- used professionally most often, though not cheap. But with such performance and a lifetime warranty (covering even their ultra bright LED lamps as I recall), the safety factor is very nice. Many are approved for use in explosive atmospheres even, and underwater to 500 feet....) And I use a waterproof Pelican case for my ham radio.<br /><br />Main drawback to such a monster light is how fast the blamed thing can drain its power source. They do suck down electricity!