10 hp hard starting

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well my this motor has had new points and wires condensers and plugs ,It starts and runs like a new one when warm, I mean one pull and it's running .But if it,s cold, I all most regret taking up fishing as a hobby it starts so hard. I pull the choke and it just don't seem to get fuel to get that first bang to start .Later, I'm going to shoot a little gas in carb and see if that helps but I can't do that every time.Could it be the tank ball I rember dads

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Could be a simple fix.-------When you pull the choke knob does the flapper close and stay closed after the first pull ???---Does spark jump an actual gap of 1/4" or more ?

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks: I did take out plugs, and squirt a few drops of gas in pistons, put back plugs and it started, just like when warm, I'm thinking something in the choke, and yes the choke stays closed, this is a 1963 QDA. Could the fuel pump be bad? I haven't done any thing to it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd have to say something in the choke area you're missing.

AlTn

Commander
when starting cold...pull the choke on and advance the throttle to max while in neutral...does this make a difference?...you'll have to cut the rpm's back when it does start

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmm,good idea AlTn, I'll try and let you know, but it will be tomorrow, as I started it today and I am certain it will start right up all day.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do not rely on the marking on the throttle handle for starting.---Turn throttle till it hits the nuetral interlock.-----The fuel pump has nothing to do with " cold starting " on your motor.----Are you sure the detent on the choke is working properly ?

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reply's, I am shur the choke is shut. With the cover off you can see, it is a manual choke as you know, I think the throttle may be it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Detent part # is 204490-----Used to replace them all the time along with the spring , but that was many years ago.---Most folks said thanks for the work and that shop has been in the same family since the late 1960's

thull

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the primer bulb get hard when you pump it? Can you see fuel filling the bowl under the carb?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Have you tested compression on your motor?

Motors that have low compression are hard to start cold, but run fine and start up fine when warm. When warm the motor still has gas charged fuel mix in the crankcase, so it starts easily. Lower compression motors will run fine when warm, but have slightly less power. Having compression in the low to mid 70's psi could cause these issues.

When the motor is cold with lower compression it is a lot more difficult to create a negative pressure in the crankcase and pull in an adequate amount of charged fuel mix for starting.

Just thoughts, please consider checking your compression. If your compression is low then we would need to investigate as to why.

Second case: Please re-evaluate your ignition system. It could be running on one cylinder, so that is something that could create hard starting when cold.

Also be methodical with engine diagnostics, even when it seems to just fuel delivery..

Remember first check compression, then check spark with a gap spark checker (min 1/4 spark jump), and then carburetor/fuel delivery. Please check in the order listed.

Hope it is something simple!!

David T.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again, on help if I remember I had 85 or so on both, but this morn and yesterday I opened throttle as AlTn suggested seemed to start fine, any one know what the compression should be?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I really believe you are good to go. You aren't the first one to get fooled by something as simple as correct procedure (or lack of).

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
When I read that it was a 10 horse I wasn’t sure which year was in question. So then, 1963, the final year for the successful 10 series that started in 1949.