10 hp Evinrude 1963 recoil spring

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’ve got a good, clean spring. It unsprung. Housing, washers, rope coil are all clean and greased good. How do I coil up this spring and set it down in the indented well in the housing? Please see pic.

Attachments

• photo334872.jpg
    photo334872.jpg
    843.3 KB · Views: 2

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hook the loop onto the pin in the housing, then coil it in one turn at a time, like coiling up a garden hose. I've done a few thousand of 'em.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Another method is to coil it tightly on the workbench and secure it with a couple of zip ties. Put it in place, then carefully cut the ties.

It goes without saying that those things can hurt you, so be careful.

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You all are so helpful, and you gave me the confidence I need to do this. I’m grateful. Jonathan

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
F_R I’ve tried yours and TomHath method. I finally settled on yours. My problem is I get about 3/4 of the spring coiled up (like a hose) inside the housing before it busts loose. What do you think I could be doing wrong? I go slow and steady holding the coil down with my palm on top of it. Any ideas? Thanks greatly. Jonathan Smith.

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You and me both. Like I just replied to F_R, I get the spring wound up like a garden hose about 3/4 of the way before it busts loose. Every time it does my Boykin spaniel cowers under my work bench. Ima bout to join her. Jonathan Smith

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I wind them up in my hands.----When small enuff coil I grip with a wee pair of pliers .----Drop it in place.---Done

iggyw1

My mechanic charged me $60 to do mine and it was well worth it to me. He put some lock tight on the center screw on top of the flywheel so it would not come loose any longer so the spring won't come unwound.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
About 50 years ago I was shown how to wind them in my hands.-------Still works today.----Bring it over I show how easy this is !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
This looks like it would be pretty E-Z if you do it slow and not try to rush through it.

I had to laugh when he got half way through and the spring jumped out in a tangled ball.

iggyw1

I had to laugh when he got half way through and the spring jumped out in a tangled ball.

And when he could not get the spring out of the housing near the beginning when he showed which direction to wind it. LOL

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Saw another proud youtube poster a while back trying to take a tapered dowel pin out of a Johnson out board block.---Used a bigger hammer in desperation.------Trouble is he was driving it in the wrong direction !!------Saw him use the same procedure on another engine too.------If you are using this media as a learning tool then be careful.