1 stringer soft, floor is ok--fix stringer?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 16 foot 4winns. The stringer under the driver's seat is soft, but the floor looks ok. Can anything can be done without tearing everything up? Sould I leave the stringer alone until the floor gets bad? Will spraying anything in there help?

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1 stringer soft, floor is ok--fix stringer?

Chances are that you have alot more rot than you think. You could either fix it (probably involves tearing everything up) or maybe just leave it for a while. Also, how do you know just the stringer is rotten? did you cut an inspection hole?

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I can't. I am looking from the ski storage recess to the inside surface of the stringer and a screwdriver pokes into the stringer. I can see the underside of the floor somewhat, but can't see the bottom of the floor on the far side. From the top, the floor seems ok.<br /><br />How does it get rotten in there? The boat has been outside for the last 4 months with lots of rain, but was garaged before that. I just bought it!

Texan_Ron

Cadet

Hello Rhadley I am also in houston if you would like a helping hand sometime shoot me an e-mail at texan_ron@yahoo.com I understand an extra hand can be helpful at no charge lol ( if ya like feel free to check my project at http://mrron.5u.com/ ) btw I am near 290/jones road

BillP

Captain

Rot spores are dormant in the wood and get active under the right temps and humidity. I don't remember the temp range but hotter = worse and high humidity = worse. <br /><br />You may be able to arrest the rot without taking the floor out:<br /><br />Freshwater is the enemy...Salt inhibits rot spore growth so adding salt in the bilge can help but it won't get into all the nooks and crannies without water or a carrier. <br /><br />Antifreeze also kills the spores and may be the best bet. Pour a gallon or two in and don't let it drain out.