1 or multi trolling motors

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
I see questions or advise giving on how many trolling motors to install on all electric boats and it always make me wonder.
Lets say for an example a 1652 jon boat was the test boat(fully decked,approx 750lbs)
Would it be better to use 1-36 volt trolling motor;2-24 volt TM's;3+ 12 volts TM's?
I see people putting 3-80lbs thrust motors on a boat this size and wonder why.
I can see maybe 2,incase 1 breaks down but why more?
Is there going to be any more speed?(I'm thinking no,as it won't plane)

I like to get some people veiws maybe some videos(links even) of people running there electrics.I just can't see there being much advantage(if any)to running 3-80lbs TM's,to say even 2-80lbs trolling motors.With the weight,cost,maintaince of extra batteries is there any advantage?

Anybody have any real life knowledge on this subject?
I run 1-50 lbs power drive,can get a good days fishing out of it and thats with 1 battery,I'm not electric only though.I don't think I could justify 3-24 volt trolling motors,even if I was electric only.

Am I way off on this?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 1 or multi trolling motors

I would run just 1 trolling motor on the Bow.
Also on a boat that light you do not need a 24 or 36 volt motor.
If you want a second motor then install a Gas motor on the stern.
With the gas motor do not get one above the max HP for the boat.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

This is just a generic question,if someone wanted to go all electric.
Just looking for views or a discussion on the topic.
I've seen some boats that size with 3,101lbs trollers on the stern plus a 80 in the bow.Thats a lot of batteries and I'm thinking it's way overkill...but maybe I'm wrong.

NYBo

Admiral

I've seen some boats that size with 3,101lbs trollers on the stern plus a 80 in the bow.Thats a lot of batteries and I'm thinking it's way overkill...but maybe I'm wrong.
It's also probably based on a false assumption that more thrust will equal more speed. Once a speed of 3-4 MPG is hit, adding more motors won't increase it because that's the max trolling motors can provide. A waste of money and weight capacity.

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 10.5' two man plastic boat my son and I use to fish smaller ponds. I had a 30lb 12v motor on it on My end. My son got tired of me letting the boat turn his seat away from the bank, so he purchased a 25lb 12v motor for his end so he could turn the boat when he needed to. We found out that when we cross the ponds at full speed on one motor, and kick in the second, it does dramatically increase the speed. I would estimate by at least 40%

NYBo

Admiral

I have a 10.5' two man plastic boat my son and I use to fish smaller ponds. I had a 30lb 12v motor on it on My end. My son got tired of me letting the boat turn his seat away from the bank, so he purchased a 25lb 12v motor for his end so he could turn the boat when he needed to. We found out that when we cross the ponds at full speed on one motor, and kick in the second, it does dramatically increase the speed. I would estimate by at least 40%
That would be because a 30# thrust motor isn't enough to move the boat at its full capability of 3-5 MPH. My point was you'll never break that barrier by continuing to add more motors.

ac0j

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That would be because a 30# thrust motor isn't enough to move the boat at its full capability of 3-5 MPH. My point was you'll never break that barrier by continuing to add more motors.

I agree fully with your logic, BUT the second motor DOES make a difference in a very small / light boat, so it stands to reason it would also apply to heavier boats as well. It also came into play on a very windy day when one motor would barely move us into the wind. As to the OP, it may take more than one motor to achieve the maximum speed in a given situation. BUT once you have that, all you would gain is acceleration from 0 to max speed. It boils down to what is your motive to add more motors. BUT, you CANT add enough electrics to ski with them!