1/4-Sheet Palm Sander (paper retention)

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an older B&D Palm sander that holds the paper with a spring-clip on the front and back edges. I spend more time and sandpaper trying to keep the paper in place than I do sanding. The sheet dosen't appear worn-out or clogged, it just slips out from under the retainer spring.

This afternoon I spent some time glueing tooth-picks to the 2 edges of the paper to try to stop the paper from sliding under the clip, but there must be a better way. The last time I used this sander, I gave up and went out and bought a sander that uses the hook and loop system The new sander works great but some inbred force is keeping me from just dumping the old one.

Since the glue is not dry yet, and I don't have an immediate need, I didn't try my modified sheets yet. Does anyone have a good solution?

Thank you,
Nick

Last edited:

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1/4-Sheet Palm Sander (paper retention)

Since the glue is not dry yet, and I don't have an immediate need, I didn't try my modified sheets yet. Does anyone have a good solution?
Yeah:
a sander that uses the hook and loop system

Seriously. I gave up on the little 1/4 sheet jobs and bought a nice DeWalt random orbit. I haven't touched the old one since. I don't even know where it is or what happened to it. The RO can make a smoother finish, and do it MUCH faster. In fact, it has nearly replaced my belt sander as well.

The spring-clip style simply don't work in my experience. My Dad has a Bosch 1/4 sheet with a clamp system that works much better, but still throws the paper from time to time. Sorry I'm not much help, but sometimes it's best to just move on...

levittownnick

Yeah:

Seriously. I gave up on the little 1/4 sheet jobs and bought a nice DeWalt random orbit. I haven't touched the old one since. I don't even know where it is or what happened to it. The RO can make a smoother finish, and do it MUCH faster. In fact, it has nearly replaced my belt sander as well.

The spring-clip style simply don't work in my experience. My Dad has a Bosch 1/4 sheet with a clamp system that works much better, but still throws the paper from time to time. Sorry I'm not much help, but sometimes it's best to just move on...

I can't fault your answer, thanks for the input.
Nick

tomdinwv

I have one of those cheap $10 Harbor Freight 1/4 sheet sanders. I had the same problem. Could not keep the paper on. My solution was to just use the sticky back sand paper. Been using it that way for the last 3 years +. It's hard on the pad, but like I said, it's a $10 sander.

I bought a Ryobi orbital sander from HD that takes the hook & loop paper. That thing throws paper left and right. I keep the dust out of the hook & loop but it still slings paper. I don't use it all that often so it's not that big a deal, just annoying.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

3M makes an adhesive product in a squeeze tube that is made for temporarily gluing paper to the sanding pad. You spread the glue on the pad, let it tack then apply the paper to it.

I have a voracious little Makita palm sander that was made for adhesive sand paper but you can never find it or it is way to expensive. The 3M glue works perfectly. I went out to the garage to find the glue so I could post the name. This is the second tube that I have misplaced. Hopefully I can find it as the stuff is about $8 a tube. It does last a long time (in the tube) and you can usually apply two different sheets of paper before you need to reglue.

EDIT: Phew!! Found it. It is 3M Feathering Disc Adhesive Type II #8051. I got it at an Automotive Paint Store.

fishrdan

Admiral

Try loading the sander with 4 sheets of sand paper at the same time, the stack will be thicker and it might hold better. I haven't experienced the problem you are, but always load my Makita 1/4 sheet palm sander this way. When the sheet gets worn out, tear down the center, then rip the paper off each clamp.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If I understand what you are describing, I had a Craftsman that had the same problem.
I went to a heavier weight paper and the problem went away.
Are you using
"A" paper?
Try "C".

Cutting up 9X 11 sheets is also a contributor ....those sheets are usually pretty thin backing..."A" is common.
Try buying 4-1/2" roll stock....25' rolls ...even cloth backed....are a very efficient way to go.

levittownnick

I knew that I came to the right place.

Thanks,
Nick

robert graham

Admiral

I've just used a small amount of 3M Weatherstrip Contact Cement to help hold the paper in place...time to change it, you can just rip it off, put a new sheet on....no big deal!;)

levittownnick

If I understand what you are describing, I had a Craftsman that had the same problem.
I went to a heavier weight paper and the problem went away.
Are you using
"A" paper?
Try "C".

Cutting up 9X 11 sheets is also a contributor ....those sheets are usually pretty thin backing..."A" is common.
Try buying 4-1/2" roll stock....25' rolls ...even cloth backed....are a very efficient way to go.

I didn't even know that the paper was selectable. It's amazing what can be learned from here.

Thanks,
Nick

sschefer

Rear Admiral

What's happened is that you've unconsciously spent a lot of time on the edges of the sander and worn them down to a taper. Now you don't have the full flat surface any more and the paper is moving around and eventually it pulls out of the clamps. You can order replacement pads that will put it back to near new. If that's not a viable option, go with the 3M solution. That's been a favorite for years because it works.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I didn't even know that the paper was selectable. It's amazing what can be learned from here.

Thanks,
Nick

It is manufactured in various paper weights, but you are ultimately at the mercy of how broad an inventory your local hardware outlets will stock.
That's why to get exactly what you want you sometimes have to buy a larger quantity from further up the supply chain.
On a plus note, that usually gets you a much higher quality product.

fishrdan

Admiral

I just remember a trick... Fold over 1/4" (or so) on each end of the paper, to double it's thickness and give you grip on both sides. The sander might not allow this as the paper could be too short after folding it over, you'll have to see.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put a peice of tape along the edge that gets clamped

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do a LOT of sanding, you could try what I do, I buy my sandpaper from WoodWorkers supply. They have a bargain box deal of roll ends from their Klingspor belt line, the backing is really heavy and a 5lb box of assorted grits is around $15. Let me say 5lb is a lot of sandpaper. I've never had any of the stuff come loose from my palm sander.

levittownnick

I am in absolute awe of the amount and quality of information on this subject. Thanks for posting.

Nick

robert graham

Admiral

I am in absolute awe of the amount and quality of information on this subject. Thanks for posting.

Nick
You can get an awesome Amount of information on almost anything here....and sometimes the Quality is pretty good, also!;)

drrpm

I've had the same problem with my sander as well. Now i know I'm not the only one and have some ways to deal with it.