06 Yamaha FX140 fills up with water when left in overnight... sometimes!

Ga Farmer

Cadet
My 06 fx 140 will fill up with water when left in the lake overnight on random times. What I mean is that is doesn't fill up every time I leave it in the water overnight. I got the boat out of the lake, filled it up to the top of the battery with water and it didn't leak out anywhere. So I don't think it is a hole or a seal. Is there somewhere it could be leaking in from the jet pump ? If it leaks during running then the bilge pumps it out, because it is always relatively dry after running it. It only does it after sitting overnight. Is there some sort of check vaulve somewhere that could be sticking?

Thanks

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 06 Yamaha FX140 fills up with water when left in overnight... sometimes!

Most likely its rain or waves splashing up on the front hood, into the cup holder, around the mirrors, etc.. Even without rain, it does not take a lot of wave action from a passing boat etc. to push water just far enough up on the ski to leak past the hood joints. All those areas drain into the bilge. Its not a problem when the ski is running like you noticed, since the ski actually has 2 different bilge pumps, but they only work when the engine is running. If you plan on leaving it frequently overnight, you might want to consider getting an automatic bilge pump and an extra battery to run it.

Ga Farmer

Cadet

Thanks Earnest!

That would certainly explain the"sometimes" aspect of it...My place is kinda in a sheltered cove so I don't get a lot of wave/wake action. But if this is all that you can think of then I guess that is what I'll have to look out for...
Thank you very much for your reply! I don't think that I would have thought of that!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I think a lot of people see the seal around the front storage compartment and think that makes the ski water tight, but that seal is just to keep the storage compartment dry. All around that area is not water tight, and will drain directly into the bilge.