06 Q6 Tahoe completely dead at ignition switch

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
After TKS carb rebuild and reinstall my boat is completely dead! I never touched ANYTHING electrical. I have power to and thru my master power switch and horn. All else on the console is dead. I have no power at all on the ignition switch wires. If any of you have had this issue on a tahoe, you know the power wire on the ignition switch does not have it`s own fuse under the dash. I have 12 volts at the battery and starter but zero volts at the resettable Circuit breaker next to the carb. I keep hearing of a mysterious fuse behind the carb but I believe mine is next to the carb on the starboard side in a black holder. It`s 20 amp and it tests good.

alldodge

Staff member
Find the Red/Purple wire on the key switch see if 12V is there.
If not trace wire back to a fuse/breaker or broken connection

The Red/Purple comes off the 50 amp breaker on the motor

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea, zero voltage on the red/ purple wire at 50 amp CB either post and breaker is not popped. I wish these damn boats came with wiring diagrams. All 3 wires on my ignition switch go all the way back to my engine under starboard gunnel. 12 volts at battery and starter post. This is on an 06 5.0 Tahoe. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
zero voltage on the red/ purple wire at 50 amp CB either post and breaker is not popped

There is a 90 fuse on the starter post (looks like a square box) and is there to protect the alternator. The power from the bat goes thru the fuse up to the breaker. With no power on either post of 50 amp breaker, my guess is the fuse blew

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did see that and heard some others talking about a 90 amp fuse. Looks like a square piece of teflon. I`ll check it out thx.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick question. Would the 90 amp starter fuse stop power going to the ignition switch?

alldodge

Staff member
Quick question. Would the 90 amp starter fuse stop power going to the ignition switch?

Yes
Power comes from bat thru 90amp fuse, to red wire, to 50 amp breaker, to red/purple wire to key switch

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the info and input. I replaced my 90 amp starter fuse and problem solved. I will be opening a new thread with my new carb rebuild problem. Damn I love boats!!