05 Johnson 90- Boyesen reeds- better idle?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer
Howdy guys-

First of all- I believe my outboard is behaving normally.

I have never been happy with the idle on my 2005 Johnson 90hp (carb'd of course- 60 degree looper). I purchased it new and have about 200 hours on it. I have a factory service manual...

It idles about as good as I guess as I can expect- like many outboards, I understand that there is not enough air velocity through the carbs at idle to atomize the fuel and prevent the pooling that will cause a shake, RPM variation, and slightly rough sound. I get the usual shake and shimmy and burbling sound, but this 90 just seems to do it more than normal. When trolling or running in a NO WAKE zone at idle, it does shake more than I would expect- I have checked plug color, and adjusted the carbs at idle. I have them slightly fat at idle once it is warmed up to keep it from being cold blooded when I first start it (right after the choke circuit shuts itself off). It will run at idle without killing- every once in a while I have to give it a quick rev to clean it out (which is normal). I have checked to make sure the choke circuit shuts off and checked to make sure that there aren't any fuel system restrictions in filters, etc. Fuel has always been from different sourses and I have eliminated it as a root cause. I just think it is the character of this outboard....

It performs good at speed- and slightly over revs to 5650 RPMs at full throttle. It runs perfect once the idle circuit is passed at 1700-1600 RPM's. Heck, it runs great even at 1100 RPM's-

I would like to clean up the idle and reduce the shake- do you guys thing Boyeson Reeds will clean up the idle??? I do run at idle alot and it is more annoying to me than a real problem....

Anyone know a Boyeson part number? And cost? The Boyeson web site doesn't show a part number- but I know that there must be one. Anyone have a rough idea what the labor hours would be to install a set of reeds if I don't do it myself???

Thanks guys!! Sorry for being long winded....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 05 Johnson 90- Boyesen reeds- better idle?

If that motor doesn't idle smooth, something is wrong. A lot depends on how you have it adjusted. When you talk about the "choke circuit shuts itself off" are you talking about the motor coming out of Quick Start? There is no choke system but rather a primer system that only activates when you push the key in.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Yes Dhadley- my apology- it is the quick start system- poor nomenclature on my part....

The primer solenoid appears to operate as it is suppose to. The outboard starts easily, then idle drops when the OB reaches operating temperature. As the manual outlines, I can test it at idle at 2000 RPM's and when I press in the key, the RPM's do drop about 1000 RPM's and she sputters like it is working as it should-

As far as a smooth idle- it runs and doesn't kill- but it is not smooth.... The outboard does vibrate and shutter about once every 5 seconds....

Z

khes142

Cadet

I have a 2002 Johnson 90hp with the Optical ignition, that acts that same way between 1000-2000 rpm. It idles fine though. It is somewhat annoying when traveling for a long time in no wake zones.I think it may be a link and sync issue with the low speed timing? Maybe someone will help us out.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Both those smyptoms could be related to the sync-n-link. It's critical on these motors. Make sure you're running the correct Champion plugs. The low speed timing only sets the idle speed. Once you move the throttle the low end timing setting won't have anything to do with it. It'll be advancing as per the linkage. Again, sync-n-link is critical.

BTW - since the 60* loopers use the same reeds as a crossflow the Boyesen part number is 144 for a 60* 4 cylinder.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Dhadley- I am resurrecting this old thread!

I am ordering the 144's Boyeson reeds for this outboard-

Have you had any real life experience with the Boyeson reeds helping smooth out idle? I will also make sure the link-n-sync is completely checked...

My lakes are hard right now since the temp is minus 7 F. So- testing is out of the question....I will have my dealer go through it in March....

I have followed my service manual to do as much link and sync as I can....but don't have an ignition analyzer...

Dhadley- any real life experiences with the Boyeson reeds?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

ttt for Dhadley

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I've used, sold and or installed many, many sets. They may smooth out the idle once in a while but that's not their main objective. In my experience, if the motor isn't idleing correctly before the install it probably won't idle right afterwards. If I were doing it I'd start by making sure the carbs are clean and adjusted properly. Then follow the sync-n-link proceedure to the letter including making sure the right Champion plugs are installed.

You mentioned you have fattened up the idle. How many jet sizes did you go?