'03Yamaha 50hp dies after 5 minutes after primer pump

sqweegeit

Recruit
Currently experiencing a problem. I get in my boat, prime the primer bulb and start the boat and it cranks right up. I cruze the river for about 5 minutes and it starts to hesitate and acting like the fuel is running out and then stalls. I prime the ball again and it starts up and once again runs for about 5 minutes before doing the same thing. Also, when it's running for those 5 minutes it runs great with zero hesitation out of the hole or sputtering so I don't think its dirty carbs.

When I first started experiencing the problem I replaced the primer bulb. That didnt fix it so I replaced the fuel pump. That didnt fix it so I replaced the fuel filter as well as the water sep.

I'm still seeing the issue and curious if you have other suggestions. It's a 2003 50HP Yamaha 2 stroke.

Thank you in advance for the help.

robert graham

Admiral
Try running it with the gas cap slightly loose or removed to ensure that cap vent screw is open and venting sufficiently.....Also check the air intake on the motor cowling for bug, spider, bird nests or other obstructions....

sqweegeit

Recruit
Ok. Im going to give the gas cap open a try.

Not insulting intelligence but if there was an obstruction in the air intake wouldnt that cause hesitation from the start? It runs great with zero hesitations fir 5 minutes then dies.

what about fuel lines? Is there anything that could cause this in the fuel lines?