03 yamaha Vmax 225 rattling/noise

03skeetersl210

Recruit
hey im new to this forum, ive had this 03 yamaha vmax 225 two stroke motor for a few years its a low hours motor, last night i noticed alot of noise when in forward but not in neutral, today i took the boat out again to really listen and i heard the same noise at idle in forward and maybe a slight noise at 30mph, in neutral i can rev it and it sounds great no noise thats not normal, i dont know where to look or really how to explain it, i have a video at idle in forward i think you can hear pretty clearly, i cant get a video at 25-30mph because the wind is to much to hear the small vibration noise im hearing. any help would be very much appreciated at least yall can point me in the right direction so i can tell a mechanic what to look for, thanks in advance. im going to try to attach the video or link for the video on youtube

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I could not hear what you are describing in the video.What do you hear while at idle speed? Tapping? Clicking? type noise ? I had similar and was able to remedy it but I need you to describe the noise more accurately please.Charlie

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I can hear it. My best guesses would be the prop hub rattling, the metal engine cover/hood securing latch rattling…or something else inside rhe hood. Flywheel cover or cdi cover etc etc.

03skeetersl210

Recruit
I can hear it. My best guesses would be the prop hub rattling, the metal engine cover/hood securing latch rattling…or something else inside rhe hood. Flywheel cover or cdi cover etc etc.
sorry for no update i didnt have my computer anyway i changed the lower unit oil and found more water than oil, took it to my local shop and they said over the last year or so theres about 200 yards of fishing line in my prop that took out the seal or something like that. they said they put a new seal in it and pressure tested it now it sounds like it should.. thanks for all the responces.. i also just bought a 03 mercury and im having problems with it i guess ill make a new thread im out if money for mechanics haha

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
sorry for no update i didnt have my computer anyway i changed the lower unit oil and found more water than oil, took it to my local shop and they said over the last year or so theres about 200 yards of fishing line in my prop that took out the seal or something like that. they said they put a new seal in it and pressure tested it now it sounds like it should.. thanks for all the responces.. i also just bought a 03 mercury and im having problems with it i guess ill make a new thread im out if money for mechanics haha
VERY Smart 1st step in changing the lower unit lube!!! That simple maintenance procedure can tell you a lot as you found out!!.ALWAYS remove your prop as that can also tell you a lot about whats going on. BEST you didn't listen to crap guessing like :
If you had listened and continued to run the motor you would have blown your lower unit up!! Glad you were able to get it solved....That is an awesome motor and even better now that it is fixed!!!!! Post back any updates and WELCOME to the forum!!! .Charlie