01 SeaRay 6.2 MPI intermittent no crank no start

Oldnbold

Seaman
I’ve an intermittent starting issue that’s got me baffled. Turn battery master on, then key on yielding nothing: no power to the dashboard, no electrical up front, no crank, no initial beep in dash, dead everywhere.
This 1st happened 3.1.23 and the only time I could get it to “switch on” pointed at the neutral safety switch in the throttle control box. At that time I did not jump around the switch, manually moving the arm forward/reverse would activate the ignition startup. I changed the neutral safety switch in the box and alls well so I thought.
Boat started and ran on the lake ok 5.15.23. 6.2.23 back to the original problem of nothing anywhere. I jump around both the neutral safety switch and the kill switch in the control box w/o success. I jump around the battery control master w/o luck. Outdrive trim button always works so I went up on it while turning steering and I get some brief engine turn over then stopped then back to no power anywhere.
Gave up for the day , attack the problem once again 6.3.23 and 1st thing I turn key on and everything turns on , starts and runs normally. I cranked and started boat 5-6 times normally. 6.5.23 after buttoning all my tearing down up took the boat out and ran fine.

Any ideas WTF is going on with this boat?
So sorry for the long read.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like a bad connection.

Disconnect and clean to shinny metal on both ends of both battery cables, including the ground. Then disconnect the 10 pin engine connector and clean the pins

Oldnbold

Seaman
Sounds like a bad connection.

Disconnect and clean to shinny metal on both ends of both battery cables, including the ground. Then disconnect the 10 pin engine connector and clean the pins
I’ve done the battery terminal cleanings. I’ll clean the 10 pin connector

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Battery cables have 2 ends,....

Oldnbold

Seaman
Checking back in: problem found. The battery cable to starter solenoid wasn’t even finger tight. The zip ties holding the cable were about the only thing keeping contact.