01 Mercury optimax 150

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys,
been awhile see if I could get a hand on this one..
I am putting new spark plugs in the engine, Anyone have any tips or tools to make it any easier its VERY difficult to get into the plug area.

The first 2 I pulled out seem to be a little stripped. I gave 1 new threads worked out well.
Anyone have any tips on this process I have never seen an outboard so tight...

Thanks
Garrett

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 01 Mercury optimax 150

Have you repaired the threads????

Use some antiseeze on the plug threads.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i repaired the threads so far.
I have not attempted the other 4 thinking this may be an issue on all of them.
Problem I was having is getting in to the bottom 2 plugs all the lines run by them.
Can i take off the front plate that the distributers are on?
The engine only has 68 hours on it.
I replaced all anodes.
Air Filter.

Are there other things I should fix while I am at it or Pm?

When I pulled a search it only gave me other situations not mine.
I got quoted 80 an hour to have it worked on. I am still hurtin from the rebuild and need to get this done myself.

Thanks in advance for any questions you guys can get to.

Cheers
Garrett

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will have to remove the plugs first you might not have any issues with the rest but you never know. If you have to retap the bottom plugs move what ever is in the way as to get working room to make sure the tap is true to the motor. Most taps are made to run true regardless, take your time and back it out every half turn and make sure you coat in grease so no shavings wind up in motor.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Windy thanks for your reply it was VERY helpfull.

I got 5 plugs in now, the 6th plug is a problem i moved almost everything coils hoses etc.
Problem is i have a "cleaning" tap little to big to get into the port easy and completely true. It is the 14mm size but requires 13/16 socket to drive which is to thick.
Where would i get a 14mm tap that is thin enough to re thread/tap this hole?

Its crossed bad, looks like about 1 turn in it may be a different angle so i wanted to wait till i can find a cutting tap that will fix it.

I am at the point of no return it seems.. anyone got anymore tips or ideas?
Thanks
Garrett

gss036

Commander

If push comes to shove, pull the head. How did all the threads get crossed in the 1st place, since you just had a rebuild done? Sometimes the cheapest fix is the most costly if you cut corners, especially if you end up with shaving in the cylinders.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi gss I rebuilt the boat not the engine.
Whomever put the plugs in prior must have crossed them or taken them out hot.. I'm not really sure. I have not had to take them out before, the engine had 60 hours on it. Bought last year.
I greased the tap pretty well and kept cleaning it.
I would like a inexpensive fix yes that would be nice. If it comes to it I will have to bring it somewhere to get machined.
I was just curious for other alternatives.
Thanks
Garrett

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ever hear of OEM "special tools"? Many times I have had problems such as yours and made my own "special tool". Might be that you can take a stock 13/16 straight, boxed, offset or not wrench and grind off what's in the way and make her work. Lot easier than pulling the head.

Mark