'01 Mercury 115hp 2-stroke Water Pump

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Didn't want to hack another members thread, but would like to clarify something in my own mind.
I had the water pump rebuilt last year by a trusted outboard motor mechanic and was getting 19 lbs water pressure. This year after sitting for 3 months, I started the motor in a barrel and I wasn't getting water out of the P-tube and became worried and shut the motor down. Restarted several times, but with no water out of the P-tube and motor showing signs of getting hot I would shut her down again.
I removed the rubber hose that connects to the water jacket, and there is nothing blocking it. Even ran the motor without the tube, to see if water would exit the water jacket. I just find it hard to believe that the water pump is bad, with the little use it had in one year. I would only run it for 15 minutes per trip.
Now for the question.... When the water pump picks the water out of the barrel, would there be NO water out of the P-hole if the thermostat is closed. I suspect the thermostat is not working or I am to paranoid to let it run long enough to let it open. Could I remove the thermostat and put the cover back on and see if water comes out the P-hole. This would at least tell me if the water pump is working or not. Thanks for any help you can give me.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: '01 Mercury 115hp 2-stroke Water Pump

Not sure on your model without walking out back to look at mine, but yes, the in-line 4's should 'P'

The V-6's, many will not 'P' until the T-stat opens.

Did you use an OEM impeller or aftermarket?

Aftermarket are NOT of the same material as OEM and do not withstand exposure to the air as well as OEM.

I've seen 'new' aftermarket that aged on the shelf, that I would not install.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '01 Mercury 115hp 2-stroke Water Pump

I am pretty sure he used a OEM. I saw him walk over to the display rack and get a Mercury impeller off of it. Will be taking the motor to him on Monday to have it checked out. I realize strange things can happen with water pumps. I am just a little hesitant about dropping the lower unit. Some members have been having problems with the shifting afterwards.