Need help with Rub rail damage and Hull hole on a 1961 Sea King

Therule

Recruit
Hey guys I have come in to posession of what I think is a 14 ft 1961 Sea King run-about that has a few (LOL) issues. Here are the biggest two.. (if I can get the photos to post).

image[4].jpgimage[2].jpgimage[12].jpgimage.jpg

Sorry they are IPhone Pics. Any help would be great I have no idea how to repair the rub hole in the lower back hull and I dont know if you can buy just the aluminum rub rail that is smashed up. Thanks TheRule

Therule

Recruit
Re: Need herl with Rub rail damage and Hull hole on a 1961 Sea King

Re: Need herl with Rub rail damage and Hull hole on a 1961 Sea King

Oops sorry first time poster, My name is Cliff and I am in McKinney Texas. This is my first boat I have owned, however I grew up on lake Tawakoni and always had family boats for running troutlines and drift fishing for catfish (this boat was my dads and its one of the boat I grew up fishing out of). Thanks TheRule

Therule

Recruit
Re: Need help with Rub rail damage and Hull hole on a 1961 Sea King

Ok I need a MOD to change my title to help not herl lol thanks in advance.

Therule

Recruit

Ok guys, I really do need a little advised on my boat. I have searched iboats and googled the entire web (yes every page lol) and I am at a loss on the rub rail. Most of the time just the rubber insert info pops up (Taco brand) and when I find info on the aluminum part of the rub rail its for a fiberglass boat. Will this same aluminum housing work on my 14 foot Aluminum SeaKing or is it completely different. Thanks in advance Cliff (TheRule)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

Usually, Rubrail is rubrail. Glass or tin. You will need to take it off and get a cross section look at it so you will be able to determine what style you need. Be ready cause it IS pricey. You might be able to repair it once it's off the boat. As for the damaged area, You're gunna need to either find an aluminum welder or attempt to fabricate a patch using aluminum sheeting both inside and out and a marine sealant sandwiched between the two and riveted to the hull. That's my opinion but.. I am NOT a Tinny Owner so one of them may drop by and have a different opinion.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Are you going to cash in those aluminum cans in pic #2 to pay for the repairs?;)

It would be nice if you could make your pics bigger, it's me age yanno.

Pic #2 looks like you have rubrail and some gunwale damage too? The gunwale damage looks small enough that could epoxy or JB Weld it.

The hole in the hull will need to be patched, I suggest a piece of 1/16 thick aluminum 5052 grade if you can get it.
This thread will help you with how to install the patch:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=536250&highlight=efdog

Therule

Recruit

Are you going to cash in those aluminum cans in pic #2 to pay for the repairs?;)

It would be nice if you could make your pics bigger, it's me age yanno.

Pic #2 looks like you have rubrail and some gunwale damage too? The gunwale damage looks small enough that could epoxy or JB Weld it.

The hole in the hull will need to be patched, I suggest a piece of 1/16 thick aluminum 5052 grade if you can get it.
This thread will help you with how to install the patch:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=536250&highlight=efdog

I was thinking I would just use a beer can to fix the hole (just kidding). I am headed out to get the boat on thursday if its not to muddy so I will post up more pics then. I am not scared of the wood work but man the metal repair has me nervouse alittle.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Metal work is easy Rule, no harder than the wood work... maybe even easier.

Just get yourself a rivet setting tool (rivet gun), some closed end blind rivets, a chunk of aluminum sheet, and a tube of 3M 5200 and have at it! If you mess up you can always pull that piece off and put on another one, just like wood work.