Suggestions for coating sticky switch/buttons

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Buttons have aged and the rubber has become a sticky mess.....black comes off the switch when you push it.....I was thinking about buying some of the stuff you can get at lowes to coat pliers etc.....you dip it in or paint it and it puts a rubber coating on what you use it on....thoughts on if this will work or should I try to go and find replacement switches...?

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Suggestions for coating sticky switch/buttons

Sounds like the sun/UV and weather has eaten those black rubber switch covers up, and doubtful there's much you can do except replace them. A dashboard cover would help a lot to protect them. My black rubber ignition switch boot did the same thing, turned to black chewing gum! Good Luck!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If they haven't yet broken through or crumbled away, try cleaning off the goo with dishwashing soap and a soft toothbrush, then hitting the rubber with some Aerospace 303 protectant and see if you can extend the life and arrest the damage.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great description.....chewing gum.....the nasty kind that sticks to everything and since it is black it has to get on the white floor and white seat and shorts fingers toes and anything else it comes in contact with = major pain

Not sure how easy it is going to be to find replacement switches although I have done a precursor on google and nothing came up......guessing a switch is a switch....???

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

I did the rubber coating but not on a boat and it worked but just not worth it. Trying to get the surface prepped is hard and they peel if not perfect. Depending on the switches you might have the ones that only need an actuator replacement.
http://www.iboats.com/8297-Contura-...3553849--**********.373147947--view_id.222439
If it's a one piece bank of switches, then the vote goes for a trip to the dealer, order replacement, and pay through the nose. Will be the easiest, a couple of hours and your done with factory new. You also will get the right switch in the right position. DPDT,SPST, momentary, continuous, etc., just makes the extra money worth it.:D

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I like the replacement option but,,,,how can I tell if those will work ? pull on them and the come off ?

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

A small screwdriver and a thin piece of wood for the lever and to protect the dash. then work one side off at a time. Now the bad part, If and it's a BIG IF, the switch is the separate actuator style then everything, ( spring, plunger, even the contacts) will stay in place. If not that style then everything is going to come out flying. So cup a hand over the switch and don't lose the pieces. The switch can be put back together, but if you lose anything the switch is shot. :( Take a really close look at the switch panel, if you can see the springs under there then it's coming apart in pieces. Also if you can see the manufacturer and a part number you can do some goggling and know what you got.
I still think a stop at the dealer will be the best option. Carver is a great boat and they just did things right, so I'm betting the switches are able to be serviced, rather than throw away.
Don't forget there is a Carver forum here. Some more pics and info for the Carver boys and they may have some great input.:D

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one switch that is not working so I will take it apart first.....no loss there.....thanks for the advice

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got around to removing the switch and it has a small plunger on the bottom any ideas? forgot to take a picture but, here is a drawing for now....odd part is the plunger is plastic and does not move it is a Solid Plunger no spring etc.....so I assume there is a spring under the plate where the switches are mounted.

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

bumping this back up anyone have any ideas if the iboats switch listed above will work....or some other switch ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do a search for Contura Switches. i had the same issue with mine turning to goo as well.

Contura is a style of switch. There are many manufacturers.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Finally got around to removing the switch and it has a small plunger on the bottom any ideas? forgot to take a picture but, here is a drawing for now....odd part is the plunger is plastic and does not move it is a Solid Plunger no spring etc.....so I assume there is a spring under the plate where the switches are mounted.

The best place I know is:
http://order.waytekwire.com/scategory2/M50/260/200/Carling Contura Rocker Switch/Switches/

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the stickey goo off now I am going to paint with Krylon plastic paint......will post pics when done

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spray paint was NOT a good option the buttons are not smooth so it turned out looking like CRAP...I also tried to sand them smooth also not a good option they are paper thin and I broke one of them trying to sand it...I have some actual picture of the buttons and will probably order some if I can be sure I will not need to return them.....they are cheap enough on that site you posted.....but, I can buy here as well just want the right cover......I am still thinking about dipping them in the stuff the sell at HD for pliers and such....

on a side note to get the goo off put the switch in a zip log bag and you can scrape the stuff off or use rubber gloves.....bag was a tougher material and worked better though

Attachments

• photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0

BobV1

Recruit

Suggest that you google Carling Technologies. They are one of the larger switch suppliers.

You could also try Custom Marine Services. You'll need to search for contura switches or panels.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Agreed. Not sure why you are not just buying new switches.

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not need the entire switch just the cover.....I am going to call Iboats and tell them what I have....I just do not want to purchase and then have to return the item if it is not the right size etc....

Well they did not know for sure either called MFG and they do not know for sure.......so going to buy these http://www.iboats.com/8295-Contura-...9983510--**********.981593119--view_id.268348 if they work great if not I will return.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I do not need the entire switch just the cover.....I am going to call Iboats and tell them what I have....I just do not want to purchase and then have to return the item if it is not the right size etc....

They are all the same size. A Contura switch is a standard size. The only difference is the style of the "cover" and light.

These switches are very inexpensive. I had the same problem that you had and I just replaced all my switches. Not a big deal.